David,

Welcome to the team! It's best to send mail to the list, not to me
personally. I may end up replying, but it could be someone else
because I am often not around.

Generally we encourage people to pick their own task, so they get
something they feel comfortable doing. Have you looked at this wiki
page? https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

BTW, you'll probably want to get a wiki login; you can do that
yourself. See the upper right corner of any wiki page.

--Jean