It's possible that the Adwaita theme appeared on the theme list when I
installed the Gnome Tweak Tool, without my doing anything else. I
certainly didn't install it deliberately or knowingly, and I don't
think it was there when I first opened "Appearances".

Heh, heh. I wonder if it will still be there when I next start Ubuntu
and take a look. I hope to find time to do that sometime today.

--Jean