It's just that renaming the old one or deleting it forces LO to create new fresh folders and files.
 Renaming the entire profile is a bit of a sledge-hammer approach, roughly equivalent to what most
people expect from a re-install of the program, but it also works for sub-folders within the
profile.

It's worth trying out the renaming and keep the lower-level folder open so that you can see the new
"3" folder being created just by opening LO.

Often when people have problems with LO they can pin-point it to a specific file or sub-sub-folder
within the user-profile and then simply revert to the factory default for that.

It works the same way in most other OpenSource programs.