On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 01:29, Martin Fox <info@mjfox.ch> wrote:

Michele Zarri put the following zip file together a few years ago:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3605254/ubuntu-xp-silver-theme.zip

The instructions he wrote are:

Win XP Silver-like theme for Ubuntu

Installing the theme is fairly straightfoward.

1) Go to System > Preferences > Appearance and stay in the Themes page.
2) Save your current theme in order to be able to revert to it.
3) Drag and drop the file GTK2-WinXp etc.. and select the option to
use it immediately. This is not a full theme, but only the "controls"
part. (If you press the Customize button you will notice that a theme
is formed by Controls,   Colours, Window Borders, Icons and Pointers).
If you go to controls, the last entry should read WinXP-Silver.
4) Drag and drop the XP-SilverWindow etc.. file in the Appearance
dialog and again select use immediately. This is the windows borders
part of the theme. It is 99% based on a theme I found on
art.gnome.org, but I needed to modify the shade applied to the title
(just removing a couple of lines from the XML file).
5) to finish the transformation, you can select Verdana as the font
for the Window Titles.
6) save the new theme.

Both the components of the theme were found at art.gnome.org where you
experiment with many other combinations (probably you will even find
something better... as I said I did not spend more than an hour on this.

Alas, the installation and activation instructions appear to not be
applicable to Ubuntu 11.10, which doesn't have the range of choices in
System > Preferences > Appearance that earlier versions did. I don't
know yet whether the function is hidden somewhere else, or if one
needs to install the Gnome Tweak Tool, or what one can do. I only
discovered this today and haven't seriously started researching the
matter.

Meanwhile, however, I've discovered that the Radiance theme in Ubuntu
11.10 looks very much like the "XP-Silver" theme except that
highlighting is orange (menu items, checkboxes, default pushbuttons,
etc) and the drop-down list boxes are as Hazel described. My (possibly
faulty) memory of the earlier version of the Radiance theme is that it
didn't have enough contrast, but on one of my laptops at least, the
contrast now looks fine. However, it looks a bit less like Windows or
Mac.