Tom,

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 11:39 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Ahh, That page ;) lol

I thought it was good and had been editied recently.  I think that one might be best split into a
few short sub-pages such as
Debian
Ubuntu & other Debian family distros
Mageia / Mandriva and family
Redhat family distros
openSUSE distros
Slackware
Arch
Many of those are probably about the same anyway.

On the main page something generic such as "As Root User do ... " and then later a "Now as normal
user ... ".  I think the only differences between the distros is the file ending (either rpm or
deb ie requires yum or dpkg or apt-get) and whether the distro has the "sudo" command by default
to avoid needing to use "su" or logging in as Root.  Hmm, that does suddenly look complicated but
it's really not as bad as i made it sound i'm sure!

Actually the install procedure for Linux is very similar for each
distribution, it is the details that make it sound difficult: sudo vs
su, etc.
Another option is to right click and use "Open With" and select the
Software Installer/Package Manager. This probably better for newbies.