Hi Tom, guys,

Yes, it is probably a very good solution to provide links to other
external documentation.

When I originally re-worked the Linux readme and the Linux
installation instructions, I especially had in mind the idea of
providing comprehensive instructions for inexpert users.

But covering Linux in such instructions is more complicated than other
operating systems, because of the multiple distributions that need to
be covered.

However, I have to admit that the resulting installation guides and
the readme probably constitute as much of a barrier to easy
installation for a newbie as the complexity (for a newbie) of a
command-line installation process.

So a re-working is definitely necessary. What we currently have is
rather "spaghetti code-like", especially after all the comments at the
time were worked into the drafts.