Linux installation guide uploaded

Thanks, David, for showing me how.

NOTE: This guide was apparently created by using an existing HOWTO on another subject as a template; the original text was deleted and replaced by completely new text. Unfortunately the author had change recording enabled at the time so the "deleted" text remains on show, greatly complicating the editing task. Many pages of irrelevant text had to be scrolled through to find the paragraphs that actually belonged to the new guide.

May I suggest that in future, authors who want to create a document by this method do not enable change recording while clearing the old text from the file?

Hi Hazel,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Hazel Russman
<hazel_russman@yahoo.co.uk> > NOTE: This guide was apparently created
by using an existing HOWTO on another subject as a template; the
original text was deleted and replaced by completely new text.
Unfortunately the author had change recording enabled at the time so
the "deleted" text remains on show, greatly complicating the editing
task. Many pages of irrelevant text had to be scrolled through to find
the paragraphs that actually belonged to the new guide.

May I suggest that in future, authors who want to create a document by this method do not enable change recording while clearing the old text from the file?

You're right about appropriate usage of the changes tracking. I'll
write this into the contributor docs when I update them with new
Alfresco coverage.

Please feel free to accept all the current changes so that the
tracking shows useful info and not a confused mess that can't be
followed, and to upload a new version if you like. That way, the
document can be developed further, working from an understandable
starting point.

Anyway, thanks.

hi :slight_smile:
A lot of things were initially thrown together quite hastily just to get stuff out there.  We still don't have a guide for Base although that is a very tough challenge, perhaps even impossible at this point.

Guides to help people that are new to the documentation list have been a very low priority because building-up infrastructure has been more urgent.  Now that we have moved to the upgraded Alfresco it might be good to work on guides for people joining the documentation team.  A fresh perspective from someone new to the list might be good.  Another problem we have is the wiki is quite dis-organised but again it's a tough challenge.  Not as tough as Base but still tough.