High resolution copy of Libo book

Dose any one printed the PDF in a press?

One of government organization ask about the possibility of having high
resolution PDF.

Hi :slight_smile:
When you Export to Pdf you get a choice of "Lossless" compression.  By default it is set to jpg compression but lossless is much better.

This is regarding the PDF version of the Libo book already released

Many of the illustrations in the books are low-resolution. Using a
different compression when creating a PDF will not help, or not very
much. The figures would need to be recreated in a higher resolution.

Thanks Jean, i hadn't realised that would be the issue.  The images all look fine to me in the Odf books :slight_smile:

Danishka, the books are mostly available (at least in English(US)) at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
in Odf as well as Pdf in case that helps.

Actually I am talking about those books. The National Institute of
Education, Sri Lanka is going to print 500 books
to distribute about their staff during up coming LibreOffice training.
but we need to check whether the resolution is enough for the printing
purpose.

Hi :slight_smile:
Are the screen-shots stored somewhere else and then reduced for the books?  If we can access the originals then it might be easier to replace them?

In many cultures it is impolite to criticise at all but in English and American culture you have to criticise quite rudely before anyone takes any notice.  I think some of us are unclear whether you are saying that
1. there definitely is a problem but you are naturally being polite and avoiding saying so
or
2. you have a vague feeling there might be a problem
or
3. you don't think there is a problem but want to be prepared just in case there is one.

The copyright license of the books is a special one that allows modification and re-licensing.  I think that if you do make changes, such as replacing the images then the new licence has to be the same type of license as the old one.

If you require it then it might be reasonably easy for David to set-up a new area for your project.  Normally that is done for translations but i am fairly sure it could be done for your teacher's guides.  That way you could work at getting higher resolution images for the screen-shots.  Some people here might help with it and/or people involved with the teacher's guides locally?

I think on TDF lists you can happily be quite rude and say exactly what you need.   We are all friends even those of us that appear to argue and disagree all the time.

Hi Tom,

They want to just print the book at their own press but not expecting to
alter any content or translate.
And they wont sell it.

Best Regards,
Danishka

Hi :slight_smile:
I think that selling it is fine.

Have the printers tried printing a page that has images such as
screen-shots?  That would give us a good idea of whether the picture
resolution needs to be improved or not.  It would be a good for us to
get feedback about that anyway.

Costs have to be covered somehow and a bit more to help cover unexpected problems and even make a little profit is fine too.  Have a look at how much Lulu charge to get an idea of what you can do.
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/getting-started-with-libreoffice-33/14703788
I think any extra money raised should go into your project there rather than back to TDF, unless you make millions!  You wont need to buy the books frrom Lulu as your project is printing it's own and again that is fine so just set price according to what you feel is appropriate.  I'm not sure how schools are funded there so it might not be possible for them to pay anything.  If that is the case then it might be good to print the books showing a price but then allow the schools a reduction (to zero or whatever) so that if people want to buy additional books then they might be able to.

It does seem like an excellent and very worthwhile project.  It is good to know that you are doing this :slight_smile:

I think that selling it is fine.

Have the printers tried printing a page that has images such as
screen-shots? That would give us a good idea of whether the picture
resolution needs to be improved or not. It would be a good for us to
get feedback about that anyway.

One of project officer ask for high resolution copy but I am not aware of
what the press feedback.

Costs have to be covered somehow and a bit more to help cover unexpected
problems and even make a little profit is fine too. Have a look at how much
Lulu charge to get an idea of what you can do.

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/getting-started-with-libreoffice-33/14703788
I think any extra money raised should go into your project there rather
than back to TDF, unless you make millions! You wont need to buy the books
frrom Lulu as your project is printing it's own and again that is fine so
just set price according to what you feel is appropriate. I'm not sure how
schools are funded there so it might not be possible for them to pay
anything. If that is the case then it might be good to print the books
showing a price but then allow the schools a reduction (to zero or whatever)
so that if people want to buy additional books then they might be able to.

As the full book consist with more than 350 pages they will print chapter by
chapter.
Most probably they use only Writer, Calc and Impress as most of their
employees (academic and none-academic need word processing and spreadsheets)

It does seem like an excellent and very worthwhile project. It is good to
know that you are doing this :slight_smile:

Thanks

If 500 copies are going to be printed, I assume that it will be on a
traditional printing press. When it comes to printing this way, high
resolution photos usually have to be scaled back to 192 or even 72
dpi. It all depends on the screen of the printer. If you take an image
that is 300 dpi and print it on a press that is only capable of 150
dpi, the image will be twice as large as the original.

It is best to get the specs of the printer before trying to get high
resolution graphics. A more practical question is, are the graphics
saved in such a way to support the three color separation that is used
in printing presses. This can probably be managed by importing the
original LibO documents into InDesign or some other layout program.

I will collect there information

FYI for those who never laid out a print book with graphics...

Expressed in quantitative terms, screen-capture resolutions are typically only 72 or 96 dpi--quite low resolution for print docs. At bare-minimum resolutions, a high-quality (Adobe Acrobat print-file term...) PDF to be sent to a commercial print shop would have 300 dpi for raster graphics (e.g., photos) and 1200 dpi for line art. Therefore, a typical screenshot would often appear fuzzy and have other faults in a printed book.

Vector graphics (e.g. via graphical PDFs or other file formats) should be used whenever available because they can be scaled up or down in size while not presenting low-resolution problems.

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
Do printers usually use the CMYK system? (Cyna (blue), Magenta (red), Yellow and blacK) rather than RGB?

Is it going to be possible to get some people involved from the teacher's books project?  I think the main problem of swapping the screen-shots is time.  The screen-shots were carefully done in Ubuntu but i think any other Gnu&Linux distro would be fine.