Alfresco: server upgrade coming

Hi,

I have not so far succeeded in fixing the problems we're currently
having with Alfresco Share ("no folder names with accented characters
can be browsed in the Share interface" and ".odt files will not upload
when you use Share interface").

The only way I think will get the problems sorted is a new operating
system installation and a fresh Alfresco installation (I will of
course be recovering and re-installing our data).

At the same time, I'm upgrading the server in terms of memory and
hardware, so we'll probably get a noticeable performance boost.

This will mean that the server will be down for 24-36 hours. I'm not
exactly sure when it will happen, but will be within the next 24-36
hours from now.

I'll post back as soon as I have more definite info. Sorry for this
inconvenience...

Hi :slight_smile:
I guess that means people should download any chapters they think they might
work on even if it turns out they don't have time to. The trick is not to
download too much because 24 or even 48 hours is really not long enough to get
much done and might be better just as a break to relax in anyway.

David, thanks for keeping working at this and getting the alfresco folks onto it
too.

Hi Tom, all,

The situation is that I'm working on Alfresco on a new server, so
there will be no outage of service as such, just a transparent
rollover. I'll be posting back when that is about to happen. More
soon.

Hi,

I'm advancing with preparing the new Alfresco. I have a fresh
installation of 3.4.d running on a new, dedicated server with 8Gb
memory. It's running on a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04. The
performances are even better than before.

The previously-existing problems have been resolved: it's now possible
to use accented characters in folder names under Share, and there is
now no problem uploading .odt files under Share.

My plan is to manually copy across all our data from the existing
Alfresco, so as not to accidentally migrate the previously-existing
problems. I'll be posting back about that before proceeding, so as to
negotiate a freeze on work for a 24-hour period.

I expect to get this finished by early to middle of next week, i.e.
around September 15 at latest. Then there will be a transparent
rollover after prior warning on the list.

After that, my focus will be on the documentation production workflow
on Alfresco, and on bringing the Drupal-powered public browser
front-end at http://media.libreoffice.org to operational status. I'll
be posting back with more news/ideas about that once the rollover has
been completed.

In parallel with the work on workflow, I'll be updating the Alfresco
coverage in the contributor's guide so that new team members can get
started more easily.

All the above is taking a little time as I'm also extremely busy on a
big client project. But we are getting there steadily.

So, more news fairly soon.

Hi,

I'm advancing with preparing the new Alfresco. I have a fresh
installation of 3.4.d running on a new, dedicated server with 8Gb
memory. It's running on a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04. The
performances are even better than before.

The previously-existing problems have been resolved: it's now possible
to use accented characters in folder names under Share, and there is
now no problem uploading .odt files under Share.

That's *very* good news!

--
David Nelson

Thanks for all your work, David.

--Jean

WoooHoooo!!

Great work David :slight_smile:
Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Jean, hi Tom,

Well it looks like it won't be possible to do a "transparent rollover"
because the reconfiguration of the new IP address in DNS will take 24
hours or so to reverberate around the Web.

So, when I'm ready (after having manually transferred our existing
content), I'll post back with forewarning.

As I'll be doing this manually (so as not to possible transfer across
the past problems we were having in the current installation of
Alfresco) I'll only be transferring the documentation content. It will
be necessary to recreate all the user accounts from zero.

I'll create accounts for you two to start with, and then I'll be
looking out for other people re-requesting Alfresco access and will
fix them up quickly.

Anyway, more over the next few days.

Hi :slight_smile:
I take it that you have tried getting a list of people that currently have accesses in order to just do the whole lot in one go?  It is good to clean out people that have definitely gone and this might be a good opportunity to do that.