Hi Barry
On Linux the location of installed programs can vary widely.
Many are put into /usr/bin. If you compile from source often the prefix
will be /usr/local/bin.
In "olden" times it was normal that /opt was the location of "optional
programs.

Have a look at
http://slashmedia.wordpress.com/2007/12/23/linux-directory-structure/
or google around a bit and you will find the history of the unix folder
structure.

But OOo and LibO have used /opt as the top level folder for all builds
which have come from the organisations themselves.

The problem comes when you have installed a customised version of one of
these packages. I mean customised by Canonical/OpenSuSE etc. Then the
folder in which it may be found can and does differ from the "original".

That is what you have found out! :=)

You can install other versions of the program to use a more up to date
build, and it will (if downloaded from the OOo/LibO site) install into
the /opt folder. If it is a stable build it will go
into (for example) /opt/openoffice.org or /opt/libreoffice3.4. If a pre
release build it probably ends up in /opt/ooo-dev or /opt/lo-dev.

It is quite feasible to have multiple versions of the programs installed.
I have LO3.4 and 3.4m1 daily build as well as OOo 3.4beta on my laptop.
Running different versions concurrently can be a bit tricky.

The other gotcha is the association of file extensions. Your originally
installed version in /user/lib/.... will probably be the version opened if
you double click an odt file.

It is relatively simple to change these file associations if you want.

Adding additional menu entries is often not necessary if you have
installed the -kde-integration or -gnome-integration packages. Of course
this is a generalisation and all generalisations are false.

Feel free to shout on this list if you need more help, there are plenty of
people "lurking", and most of the Linux power users are much better
qualified than me to give advice.

regards
Martin

 On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 20:40:34 -0400