My main machine is now a Mac

Just to let you know (not that it's relevant to much of anything)...
my main machine is now a MacBook Air. I've still got the Ubuntu and
Windows machines and plan to use the Ubuntu setup for screenshots, but
will be doing most of my work on the Mac. Very glad that I can get Mac
versions of almost all of my favourite programs, so it's been an easy
transition... with a few exceptions.

--Jean

Yeah, like that dam Finder.

Hi :slight_smile:
Good to hear :slight_smile: Does it have the regular Mac keyboard or does it still have a
"Windows" key? Mouse with 2 keys?

If i scrapped the Windows logo off my keyboard and carefully painted an Ubuntu
logo instead could i get in trouble with MS? Also i was going to buy an Ubuntu
roll-up keyboard but noticed it had the Windows icon on it's Windows key (and it
didn't have a number-pad which is the main bit i usually need at work). Lol

Anyway, it's good to hear another person has a Mac :slight_smile:

Mine is a MacBook Air, but most of the time I use it with a full-size
external Mac keyboard (which is old enough to have an "Apple" key) and
an external Microsoft mouse instead of an Apple mouse. It will take me
awhile to get used to the Apple mouse.

Errr, is it possible to copy&paste the config folder from Windows to Gnu&Linux
and to Mac? The folder in Gnu&Linux is something like

~/.libreoffice/3/user

Would it be possible to have that folder on a usb-stick and then whichever
machine you are on could use the same folder?

Also if 2 people use the same login on the same machine could they have separate
user-profiles? I think question is better for the Users List so i will ask it
there instead of here.

Ahh, that's great that you can still use a 'normal' mouse. It's less of a
hassle switching between the different machines then :slight_smile:

is it possible to copy&paste the config folder from Windows to Gnu&Linux

As a general rule of thumb, yes.
The major exceptions are:
* executable and quasi-executable files. (Mainly, but not exclusively
extensions.)
* Junk that the OS wants/requires. (This is mainly, but not exclusively
a Windows thing.)

Galleries don't always "take" as expected.
Fonts don't work. (I have no idea why they are in that directory in the
first place. Unless the config folder I tried transferring has things
left over from OOo 1.x.)

and to Mac?

I don't have a Mac, and don't have access to a Mac. Pre Mac OS X, you
couldn't do that, because a file was constructed from two different,
separate strings of bits.

Since Mac OS X is based upon BSD, it should be possible, with the same
caveats as switching between Linux and Windows.

jonathon
- --
If Bing copied Google, there wouldn't be anything new worth requesting.

If Bing did not copy Google, there wouldn't be anything relevant worth
requesting.

                              DaveJakeman 20110207 Groklaw.