Is anyone working on 3.4.x updates for any of the chapters in any of
the books? I don't see anything checked out.

I know it's a long weekend in the USA, and it's probably still summer
holidays in much of Europe, so perhaps that's the reason? Or perhaps
you're doing more research before checking a chapter out to work on
it?

Remember, I put on this page a list of items and where I think they need to go:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

If you'd prefer to do something more interesting to you than updating
chapters, that's fine. Everyone's a volunteer, and welcome to do what
they want. But if I'm the only person who ever does updates when the
software changes... this group is in trouble. And the docs aren't as
good as they could be.

My thanks, BTW, to John Smith for his review comments on the Writer
Guide, which will be incorporated into the update. I've also got some
comments from Hazel Russman on the OOo books that apply to the LO
books as well and will need to be addressed.