On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 17:42 +0100, Hazel Russman wrote:
I have downloaded this chapter from the proofreading folder
and mean to copy-edit it over the next few days. I have not
done any LibreOffice work before, and I must say I find the
Alfresco site confusing and difficult to navigate.

If this were an OpenOffice doc, I would have retracted it
as well as downloading it but so far I haven't found
anything on the page corresponding to this operation.
According to the guidelines I am supposed to put my
"wiki user id" (whatever that is!)in the "checkout"
column, but I can't see a checkout column either.

I looked at the Help and couldn't make much of that.
Hopefully someone will give me a bit of guidance.

There are two versions of the user interface to the LibreOffice Alfresco
site, which has been customised for the LO Docs team. Therefore the Help
that comes with Alfresco isn't going to be much help; best to ignore it.

David Nelson is still working on the customisation, so the chapter on
"Using LO's Alfresco website" is out of date in some places and unlikely
to be updated until David has reached a stable point in the
customisation.

So... at this time we are using this user interface to Alfresco:
http://documentation.libreoffice.org/ NOT alfresco.libreoffice.org. The
instructions in "Using LO's Alfresco website" are accurate for most of
that user interface. (I will update that line in the document now,
because that is the single most misleading statement in the existing
document.)

When using that interface, the instructions for editing offline show the
row of icons that appear under the document (on the other interface, the
icons are off to the right-hand side). The first icon (Edit Offline)
locks the file (to show others that it is being worked on) and creates a
working copy for you to download and edit.

The statement about putting your "wiki user id" (whatever that is!) in
the "checkout" column" refers to a page on the wiki, not on Alfresco
(similar to OOo's task list page). So far, I don't think anyone is
actually using that LO wiki page to track work.

Hope this helps, and sorry about the confusing instructions.

Lastly, I don't see any docs in the Proofreading space for Getting
Started, so I'm a bit mystified about what file you have attempted to
check out.