We have discussed my proposed reorganization of the book, but given the
amount of work (both writing and reviewing) that would be involved to do
a good job) I think it is better to simply update the existing set of
chapters for V3.4 at this time.

Therefore I have put a set of Getting Started files on Alfresco in
English Content > Documentation > Getting Started > Drafts V3.4.x

Below is my list of what needs to be done to update to V3.4, plus some
minor improvements (that could be skipped). These are collected here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#Getting_Started_Guide

Similar lists for the other books are coming soon.

--Jean

GETTING STARTED GUIDE: Updates for LibO V3.4.x
=====================

General: check screenshots for changes. Use silver/gray theme for any
replacements needed. In many cases (Chapter 4,5,6,7) the component guide
will contain a newer image that can be used in this book without
necessity of recapturing/redoing.

On copyright page of each chapter:
* Use "data table" coloring style for the table of Mac usage info.
* Change LibO version number and publication date.

Chapter 1 (Intro)

* Verify system requirements and all URLs.
* Passwords can now be changed while document is open; add to section on
password protecting a doc.

Chapter 2 (Setup)

* Internationalized font previews: Fonts which are tuned for use with a
specific script, e.g. Arabic, Hebrew, Malayalam, etc. now show an
additional preview of some sample text in the target script. Mention in
Setup bit on font preview

Chapter 3 (Styles & Templates)

* Mention that manual ("direct") formatting over-rides styles, and how
to remove it.

Chapter 4 (Writer)

* Find toolbar: revise info
* Add brief info on Paragraph and Character *style* dialogs to reinforce
message that styles are preferred to manual formatting.
* Mention that manual ("direct") formatting over-rides styles, and how
to remove it.
* Slightly amend info on View Layout to say that the effect varies with
zoom and window width.

Chapter 5 (Calc)

* Redesigned Move/Copy Sheet dialog (Edit->Sheet->Move/Copy) - put in
section on "working with sheets".
* Add a few words on sheet tab colors (get words from Calc Guide).
* Add a few words on total and subtotals?
* Mention Pivot Tables (formerly DataPilot) and refer reader to Calc
Guide.
* Add a few words on functions and formulas, refer reader to Calc Guide.

Chapter 6 (Impress)

* Especially check this chapter for visual differences in the user
interface.
* "Media clip" is now "Movie" (especially in screenshots).
* Add reference to bundled Presenter Console extension.

Chapter 7 (Draw)

* Curves toolbar is shown twice; second instance is redundant - remove
it.
* Use new pix from Draw Guide in several places.

Chapter 8 (Base)

* Needs to be checked for accuracy, in case something has changed.
Somewhere I have a note with info on one error; I'll find it.

Chapter 9 (Math)

* Add reference to Math Guide & the tables of info in it.

Chapter 11 (Graphics)

* Replace Imagemap dialog picture with one from Writer Guide.

Chapter 14 (Customizing)

* Color Charts: Adding and Removing color charts is now possible from
Tools->Options->Charts->Default Colors. There is nothing about Chart
colors in the book, and I think it fits better under "Customizing" (Ch
14) than it does under "Setup" (Ch 2).