I guess you were the person that set some things up for Sinhala?

There seem to be a wiki page ready & waiting
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/SI/Main_Page/

Also a proper LibreOffice one
http://si.libreoffice.org/
To start with you probably only need a couple of pages like this one
http://cs.libreoffice.org/
The Websites  & maybe Design Mailing Lists might be able to help you start
adding content.

Some 'local' mailing lists
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Local_Mailing_Lists#Sinhala

There seems to be some general guidance which you probably already know
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Mergingl10n
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Template:Menu.Localization
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TipsTricksl10n
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translation_for_3.4
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Multilingual_Wiki

A check-list that might be a useful tool to help you keep track of the work you
do/organise
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language_support_of_LibreOffice

A lot of stuff would seem perfect as a school project if they have easy access
to the internet.  Learning English (or another language) might be easier if
there was a purpose and something tangible at the end.  Bureaucracy and
infrastructure might make it difficult to split the work out to students in a
reasonable way but the teachers might have some ingenious ideas.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)