Hi Jean,

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Jean Hollis Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
I've now added my proposals for both GS and WG to the wiki:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Proposal_Revise_Getting_Started

I think the plan looks good, and is a better reflection of what people
need and want to know when they first get their hands on LibO.

But I still miss at least a little bit of discussion on macros - at
least how to record them, and maybe the kind of service they can
render. Already Chapter 9 alludes to them in "Assigning macros to
events" - how do we work that in without talking about how to create
them in the first place? However, it is probably true that almost no
beginners use them. Maybe a short appendix at the end on how to record
them, with a cross-reference to in-depth coverage elsewhere?

I miss coverage of Base, but it's also true that Base is a tool that
is difficult to cover in a "quick, beginner guide", because one
quickly gets into complex explanations. How about a small section at
least discussing the possible uses of Base integration in the other
LibO components?

Maybe some similar coverage of Math, too?

So those are three possible alterations one could make.

Those points aside, your plan looks really good.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Proposal_Revise_Writer_Guide

The plan looks good, but I might suggest putting the two parts - the
"more-elementary" coverage and the so-to-speak "advanced topics" -
inside one volume. That way, people with more commonplace needs get
their info without having to wade through extraneous stuff, while
people looking to do more sophisticated things can still find the
information in one place without needing several books/PDFs open at
the same time.

In the advanced section, I'd like to see at least some coverage of
Math and how easy it is to insert equations. Same thing for Base
integration. Same thing for drawings (as a complement to the
spreadsheet coverage).

As you yourself have mentioned before in previous threads, and I
whole-heartedly agree, Writer/Web really sucks as a means for
producing Web pages. I couldn't imagine myself recommending someone to
do it that way. In the context of the many other means of easy Web
publishing available these days, I reckon it's almost an obsolete
feature in its current implementation. I wouldn't give it much
coverage except insofar as not to leave a blank hole in our
documentation about the related menu items in the software.

But, basically, your ideas sound very good and probably cater more
closely to users' real needs than the current material. In any case,
I'm sure you're unlikely to overlook coverage of any important subject
*somewhere* in the LibreOffice documentation, so I'd be happy to go
with your ideas and assist you in developing them progressively.