How does a documentation contributor work on help.libreoffice.org?

Hi Kendy, all,

I'll be needing to work on help.libreoffice.org to contribute to the
squashing of a few docs-related bugs. I already have my user account
with the needed permissions, and can log in OK.

So I just jump in and edit?

What happens if I want to create new pages?

What happens if I want to re-order page structures?

What else do I need to do to make sure that the new or edited info
integrates OK with the help?

Are there any other things I need to be aware of in order not to mess
something up?

TIA for any answers to the above questions. :slight_smile:

Hi David, Kohei,

You should CC kendy when you need to ask him specifically.

Yes, that works best - Kohei, thanks for CCing! :slight_smile:

> I'll be needing to work on help.libreoffice.org to contribute to the
> squashing of a few docs-related bugs. I already have my user account
> with the needed permissions, and can log in OK.
>
> So I just jump in and edit?

Unfortunately, the wikihelp is still not the ultimate source of the
help, so the right way how to change help now is to edit directly
the .xhp files. You need to clone the 'help' repository, and edit
there:

git clone http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/help

Ideally using a normal text editor (Vim, Emacs, ...), and committing to
git. Unfortunately this is not as easy as editing the wiki pages;
that's why all this wikihelp project has started :slight_smile: Currently there is
a Google Summer of Code student working on this (with me mentoring).

Unfortunately the switch cannot happen before the wikihelp -> native
help convertor is finished, and works really well :frowning:

> What happens if I want to create new pages?
>
> What happens if I want to re-order page structures?
>
> What else do I need to do to make sure that the new or edited info
> integrates OK with the help?

This document describes how to work with .xhp files:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/online_help/OOo2HelpAuthoring.pdf

But unfortunately it is not too convenient; and I have no idea how much
has that changed since it was written (but the basic concepts are still
valid).

> Are there any other things I need to be aware of in order not to mess
> something up?

Might be best to appear on the #libreoffice-dev mailing list, we'll help
you there with git to get the most recent help, and with the .xhp files
editing :slight_smile:

Thank you a lot,
Kendy

You should CC kendy when you need to ask him specifically.