GS Macro Chapter replacement

I can try to make the fixes myself this weekend if you desire. Screen shots might be a problem since I am on Fedora with the latest version of gnome. Unsure how to generate a screen shot that would match anything else. Probably not as obvious if I ignore the main window bar, however.

Slowly trying to plug-away at an updated version of OOME as well. There does not seem to be enough time in the day.

Did I mention that I do not like the LO color scheme? Something about the green feels very busy. Never felt that way about the blue in OOo. Odd. Nice twist for marking things such as tips, by the way. Off to work with me now.

Andrew, if you and/or Martin can do the job of updating the chapter,
that would be best. I really don't have time. Don't worry about matching
the appearance of screenshots, and as you say differences are less
obvious when you leave off the title bar.

Don't worry about screen-shots while editing text. It seems to be easier to do
all the screen-shots in one go and editing in a separate session. Perhaps
people are getting so good at it that they make it look easy. Either way don't
worry about it now.

Don't the Ubuntu themes work on Fedora?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Production#Sample_screenshots
Marc Pare managed to find something similar for Mageia so if you are desperate
you might have some luck too.

I love the green. It's rich, warm and friendly. I lived in a desert for quite
a while. After the rains things grow extremely fast and keep growing fast as
long as they can and then die under the merciless blue sky.

Back in England i had a weird feeling that i might get smothered by the greenery
here. I don't suppose you live in a desert?

I did the edit and uploaded the revised doc into the Documentation,
Getting Started Guide, Reviewed Folder, for wont of a better place to put
it.

I hope I picked up the ideas of Andrew ok.

regards
Martin

Thanks, Martin. A quick look suggests that a few links still need
correcting, and the contact email for the LO docs group is out of date
(as it is in all the chapters that were published before the list
addresses changed), but those are editorial details that I or someone
can deal with later, if Andrew doesn't catch them too.

I see you have done the figure updates as well as some text, so that's a
big help.

Andrew, over to you to see if Martin's got it right.

--Jean

Ummm, well, ummm. I do not have any access to the LO Alfresco stuff, so, if someone can send the file to me until I work out that little detail....

I'll set up an account for you and also send the file to you. Give me 10
minutes. --Jean

Jean
Regarding links:
I tested out the ones Andrew mentioned, plus some others, and if they did
not exist under libreoffice I reverted back to the ooo version.
Also a correction of one link (had an additional space in it :=), and
deletion of another where I got a 404).

I am testing out Natty/Unity on a laptop here, so I installed the silver
theme from our authors site to make the screenshots.

Glad if Andrew puts his imprimatur on it; I thought the subtitle should be
expanded to ".... and beyond" as it covers more detail than just the
recorder.

Ok, I missed the email address correction, sorry.

It was a nice little refresher on a few things for me as well.

I wonder what is next on the list? ;=)

kind regards from a grey rainy day here in Kanton Zug
Martin

Thanks, I have the file, and I logged in and changed my password.

Sorry to be a bother, but I do not know my way around well, and, I could not find the document that tells me how things should look, and, I do not want to change things if I am not sure that they should be done. So, where is the "do it this way" documentation? I am sorry for all the questions, but, this is my first LO document so I assume that the documents are as they should be and that everyone knows more than I.

For example:

QUESTION:
A newly inserted figure (that is nicely done, by the way), does NOT contain a caption and is not in a frame. My instinct is to add a caption and place the figure in a frame, because it looks like this is true for all other figures. My assumption is that either (1) there is a reason this does not need to be done like the others, (2) Martin forgot, (3) Martin did not know better, or, the most likely yet, (4) Martin did everything perfectly, and Jean pulled it out and removed the caption to test me :slight_smile:

QUESTION:
With OpenOffice.org, I always wrote OOo. For LibreOffice, should I use LibO rather than LO?

QUESTION:
In the document, I found new text that reads similar to:

click Tools β†’ Options β†’ LibreOffice β†’ General and tick the box <Italics>Enable experimental (unstable) features</Italics>.

I expected to see:

use <OOoMenuPath>Tools β†’ Options β†’ LibreOffice β†’ General</OOoMenuPath> and tick the box <OOoMenuPath>Enable experimental (unstable) features<OOoMenuPath>.

If I wanted Italics, I expected to use the <OOoEmphasis> style.

COMMENTS FOR MARTIN:

Martin, your new figures look great and it seems that you paid good attention to detail. I will change wording where it is not sufficiently precise; for example, when you state that the "Writer Library" is selected, it is really the Writer Module in the Martin Library. Without checking, my guess is that I introduced this error in the original.

Sorry to be a bother, but I do not know my way around well, and, I could
not find the document that tells me how things should look, and, I do
not want to change things if I am not sure that they should be done. So,
where is the "do it this way" documentation? I am sorry for all the
questions, but, this is my first LO document so I assume that the
documents are as they should be and that everyone knows more than I.

The "Documentation Contributors' Guide" is still being written. The
existing chapters are in two places: on the wiki (linked from this page)
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team

and on Alfresco under English Content > Documentation > Resources, where
you will also find the current chapter template (don't get the book
template by mistake; there are some differences).

Ignore the chapter titled "Using LibreOffice's Alfresco website" as it
is very out of date and bears only occasional resemblance to the current
website; David will update it when he finished tweaking the current
site.

For example:

QUESTION:
A newly inserted figure (that is nicely done, by the way), does NOT
contain a caption and is not in a frame. My instinct is to add a caption
and place the figure in a frame, because it looks like this is true for
all other figures. My assumption is that either (1) there is a reason
this does not need to be done like the others, (2) Martin forgot, (3)
Martin did not know better, or, the most likely yet, (4) Martin did
everything perfectly, and Jean pulled it out and removed the caption to
test me :slight_smile:

Not this time! I haven't touched the file. However, to answer the
question, figure captions are not always necessary (this is discussed in
one or another of the chapters of the Contributors' Guide) but in the
case most likely Martin forgot.

QUESTION:
With OpenOffice.org, I always wrote OOo. For LibreOffice, should I use
LibO rather than LO?

We have been avoiding using an abbreviation, as there has been no real
consensus about what abbreviation to use. Some books, such as the
Getting Started guide, were done before we had sorted out some of the
consistency issues, so you'll find it both internally inconsistent and
not consistent with some of the other books. This will get sorted out in
time.

QUESTION:
In the document, I found new text that reads similar to:

click Tools β†’ Options β†’ LibreOffice β†’ General and tick the box

<Italics>Enable experimental (unstable) features</Italics>.

I expected to see:

use <OOoMenuPath>Tools β†’ Options β†’ LibreOffice β†’ General</OOoMenuPath>
and tick the box <OOoMenuPath>Enable experimental (unstable)
features<OOoMenuPath>.

You are correct. But we don't use "tick the box"; in this case I would
say "...and select the <OOoMenuPath>Enable experimental (unstable)

features<OOoMenuPath> option.

If I wanted Italics, I expected to use the <OOoEmphasis> style.

That is correct.

COMMENTS FOR MARTIN:

Martin, your new figures look great and it seems that you paid good
attention to detail. I will change wording where it is not sufficiently
precise; for example, when you state that the "Writer Library" is
selected, it is really the Writer Module in the Martin Library. Without
checking, my guess is that I introduced this error in the original.

Thanks, Andrew!

--Jean

Not this time! I haven't touched the file. However, to answer the
question, figure captions are not always necessary (this is discussed in
one or another of the chapters of the Contributors' Guide) but in the
case most likely Martin forgot.

(or it was too late at night....)

> If I wanted Italics, I expected to use the <OOoEmphasis> style.

That is correct.

> COMMENTS FOR MARTIN:
>
> Martin, your new figures look great and it seems that you paid good
> attention to detail. I will change wording where it is not
> sufficiently precise; for example, when you state that the "Writer
> Library" is selected, it is really the Writer Module in the Martin
> Library. Without checking, my guess is that I introduced this error in
> the original.

Thanks, Andrew!

--Jean

Thanks to both of you for picking up stuff which I either overlooked or
was not aware of.... Sorry for any confusion.

And thanks for pointing out the Module/Library wording Andrew.

Any errors in the document are I guess now mine!!!! *gr*

I often tell my MD that I found his "obvious mistake" in letters or
reports he gets me to proof - in this case I did not put any of those in!

kind regards
Martin

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks :slight_smile: I took the opportunity to add the link
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team

to the front page for the documentation team
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Thanks, Tom. The Docs section of the wiki needs a lot of reorganisation,
so until someone does a major overhaul, small changes may mean big
improvements!

BTW, I like the coloured bits in the list of user guides.

LibO or LO are quite often used in the lists but Marketing said that the full
name needs to be used where-ever possible due to the sharp name-change. They
said that usually the 2 names would be used alongside each other for a long
while in order to transfer the brand-recognition from one to the other,
typically years.

Imagine if Nike changed their name and logo! When "marathon" changed to
"snickers" they lost a lot of loyal customers (dunno how they measure this or
really know it). It took a long time to build sales back up, apparently.
Granted that it's a different bottle of crisps for us but same idea applies. I
don't really understand except from Naomi Klein's book "No Logo". But the
marketing team asked for it and i see no reason to ignore their advice.

Thanks :slight_smile: I have been trying to find out how to
1. get the sub-section Headings on the pale green background
2. get the Table of Contents to "float" so that the white-space to it's right
gets used by the important text under it as they do in Ubuntu's Community
Documentation, for example this page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DualBoot
Ok, there are a few things that make LibreOffice wiki better than those
Community Docs.

Thanks Nino, I just updated the documentation to reference http://extensions2.libreoffice.org/, with the hope that it will eventually reference the actual site :slight_smile:

I don't know how the final URL will be named, but I'd expect it simply
to be "extensions".

So I'd suggest to write "extensions.libreoffice.org " but to mention
that the site was not yet finished when the document was written and an
old version is shown.

In addition, you can add, that interested people can lurk at
extensions2.libo.org or extensions-test.libo.org for progress, but this
I'd not consider necessary.

Nino

Hi :slight_smile:
Weird. Exactly this issue (i think) has just cropped up on the users list for
the first time ever. I might forward this to their list after removing people's
personal email addresses and forward their mail to this list

Good work chaps and chapesses

Many regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

Hi :slight_smile:
Weird. Exactly this issue (i think) has just cropped up on the users
list for the first time ever.

could you point (URL) to the mentioned mail or thread in the users list?

Nino

Hi :slight_smile:
I think all this has been sorted out now? The wiki page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
has the new Macros Chapter for the GS Guide so i think it should be ok?