taggedPDF and bookmarks by default?

Hi :slight_smile:
I don't know what makes tagged pdfs different from normal ones but apparently it
increases accessibility by making it easier for screen-readers. Is it
difficult? Can new releases of chapters be in odt and tagged pdf?

Hi Tom,

Hi :slight_smile:
I don't know what makes tagged pdfs different from normal ones but apparently it
increases accessibility by making it easier for screen-readers. Is it
difficult? Can new releases of chapters be in odt and tagged pdf?

no, it is not. It is just one checkmark, that you need to set.
Go to File > Export as PDF to the tab "General" (I'm translating from German, so the wording might be different), look down in the section with the title "General" (again) and set the checkmark in front of "Tagged PDF" (it's the second option in this area).

That's all, what you have to do.

Sigrid

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks :slight_smile: Apparently it makes the pdfs quite a bit larger but i already tend to
do that by using lossless compression anyway. Quality is more important than
space to me.

I agree that providing accessible files is important and we should do
it.

However, for many people download speed and filesize *are* still
important issues. Filesize not for storage after download, but for
counting against one's allowed download limits.

IMO, if we want to provide more accessible PDF files for those who want
or need them, we should have two sets of files: one without tagged PDF
and one with.

I have played around with a few simple little files at home and found the
increase is usually about 1% but occasionally reaches 5%.

I think it depends on the complexity of the files, for example whether
they contain tables and figures and cross-references and other things
that our docs are full of. A "simple" file may not have the items that
lead to complex tagging requirements that add a lot to the filesize.

--Jean