screenshots

Hi :slight_smile:

For screen-shots the vast majority of the docs team back then decided to try to
be consistent but a couple of us quite liked the idea of using a variety of
themes. It would look messy and 'unprofessional' unless done in a structured
artistic way (very time consuming) and anyway the rest of the team was against
the idea. The decision to be consistent wasn't agreed by consensus but was a
vast majority which is cool :slight_smile:

We settled on one theme but then Jean found an even better one that looked
almost identical on all distros and even in Windows for the odd screen-shots
needed there. So the switch to the "Ubuntu XP-Silver" theme made sense.

Should we discuss this again and perhaps select different theme(s) for 3.4 or
can we keep going with what was agreed for 3.3.x? I'm happy either way but i
had to fight hard in steering-discuss for the documentation team's decision even
tho i had originally been against it. David had a similar experience in the
Branding lists & then steering-discuss too.

However, if the team wants to make the 3.4.x series documentation deliberately
different from the 3.3.x then a few suggestions about now would be great.

I have a really bad feeling that i might have "beaten people into submission",
or forced them into doing something they hate. So i would really appreciate
feedback from other members of the team even if that confirms my fears.

Most of the screenshots are in the silver theme. Only a subset are
something else. IMO at this point the best way forward for 3.4 is to
update using that theme when updated pix are needed. 3.4.2 is out and
live; let's get the updates done ASAP, so we're not still mucking around
with them when the next release hits us.

At the same time we can consider what to do for a later (major) release,
which is IMO a better time to be changing the "look" in any major way.

More comments below.

For screen-shots the vast majority of the docs team back then decided to try to
be consistent but a couple of us quite liked the idea of using a variety of
themes. It would look messy and 'unprofessional' unless done in a structured
artistic way (very time consuming) and anyway the rest of the team was against
the idea. The decision to be consistent wasn't agreed by consensus but was a
vast majority which is cool :slight_smile:

I don't know who else "quite liked the idea of using a variety of
themes". *I* certainly didn't; I jokingly said it might have its merits,
but the only reason I've supported not spending the time to deliberately
change all the pix to a common theme is pragmatic: lack of time and
people to do it, for no real advantage to users.

We settled on one theme but then Jean found an even better one that looked
almost identical on all distros and even in Windows for the odd screen-shots
needed there. So the switch to the "Ubuntu XP-Silver" theme made sense.

You have your timeline a bit mixed up. The silver theme was the original
theme used in the OOo docs (with a few odd pix taken by other people,
either on Windows or on Linux using a variety of other themes) and was
not changed during the initial rebranding to LibO. The suggestion to use
a different theme came while I was offline for several days, but by then
several people had already started redoing Windows pix using one of the
Ubuntu themes that didn't reproduce well in grayscale, so I nagged about
it.

Should we discuss this again and perhaps select different theme(s) for 3.4 or
can we keep going with what was agreed for 3.3.x?

As mentioned at the top of this note, let's stick with what we're doing
for now.

I'm happy either way but i
had to fight hard in steering-discuss for the documentation team's decision evenUbuntu
tho i had originally been against it. David had a similar experience in the
Branding lists & then steering-discuss too.

I'm very glad you two did that. Thanks!

However, if the team wants to make the 3.4.x series documentation deliberately
different from the 3.3.x then a few suggestions about now would be great.

Please team, NO! Discuss for a future release, but NOT for this one.

I have a really bad feeling that i might have "beaten people into submission",
or forced them into doing something they hate. So i would really appreciate
feedback from other members of the team even if that confirms my fears.

At the moment we're on the track that I recommended all along, so no
complaints from me. :wink:

--Jean