Alfresco: Should we upgrade from Alfresco Community 3.4c to 3.4d?

Hi,

The Alfresco project has recently released a new minor version of
Alfresco Community Edition (the version we're using): we're on 3.4c
and 3.4d is out.

It looks like the new version would resolve an issue we are currently
having with the use of accented characters in folder names under the
Share interface at http://documentation.libreoffice.org (problem
reported by Juan Sanz of the Spanish community - it does not arise if
you use the Explorer interface at http://alfresco.libreoffice.org).

My inclination would be to go ahead with the upgrade, but I wanted to
ask for your opinions first.

If there were no comments or if the consensus was to upgrade, I'd
probably work on it at sometime over the next week, after properly
backing-up our content and preparing for a rollback if needed.

Similarly, I'd be inclined to retire the Explorer interface and just
keep the Share interface, because this would make it simpler to learn
and document how to use Alfresco.

Any thoughts about this?

BTW, FYI, this week I worked on the presentation of the Share
interface to align it with the LibreOffice color pallet, to adjust the
footer content to TDF requirements and to collect visitation stats via
Piwik.

My opinion: upgrade to the latest version of Alfresco. If this does in
fact solve the problem of accented characters in folder names under the
Share interface, then go ahead and retire the Explorer interface.

Your revisions of the Share interface look good.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

My opinion: upgrade to the latest version of Alfresco. If this does in
fact solve the problem of accented characters in folder names under the
Share interface, then go ahead and retire the Explorer interface.

OK, cool. And welcome back, we've missed you a lot.

Hi :slight_smile:
+1
Even if it doesn't fix the accented characters i guess there will be other,
perhaps less noticeable improvements. My worry would be about back-ups and how
difficult it would be to roll-back if there was a problem but David covers those
issues and the last few times he has taken Alfresco down for a reboot it has
been back very much faster than expected. Often before anyone has noticed the
first email warning.

It is good to have something clean, fresh and modern that looks like it is made
for LibreOffice.

Sounds like a reasonable decision. :slight_smile:

Now that I'm using it, I find the green text difficult to read in the
pop-up dialogs and in the boxes on the home page (especially the paler
green and/or dark green on a pale green background).

If it's possible, I would much prefer the text to be black. The
navigation tree on the left is good that way. (I don't mind the
filenames and user names in the repository lists on the right being in
green.)

--Jean

+1

Just logged in again and found the text is now black. Thank you! Much
easier for me to read.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

Just logged in again and found the text is now black. Thank you! Much
easier for me to read.

Yes, I've been tweaking it more to get it looking OK, and was going to
post back when done. I'm still working on that: minor details to sort
out with the footer, so if you're working right now then the footer
might jump about a bit - no worries, take no notice.

Hi all,

Just logged in again and found the text is now black. Thank you! Much
easier for me to read.

Yes, I've been tweaking it more to get it looking OK, and was going to
post back when done. I'm still working on that: minor details to sort
out with the footer, so if you're working right now then the footer
might jump about a bit - no worries, take no notice.

OK, I've finished work on the site theming. Next, I'll do the upgrade
- probably later this week, after I've properly prepared. I'll post
back to warn before going ahead.

If anyone has any other wishes as regards the site's presentation,
please do say so.