Impress

Hi :slight_smile:
Does anyone know how close the Impress Guide is to being published? This seems
to be the guide that is most required at the moment. Draw, Base and Math would
be nice but Impress is the one app that people seem to be asking about the most.

Looking at the status of the files, I suspect the Impress Guide is quite
a ways from being published. Some chapters have been worked on, but need
further review; two have been checked out by Song Chuan Low over a month
ago but not returned; and others haven't been touched since I uploaded
them two months ago.

Now that I am home again, and expect to be here for awhile, I plan to
get back to work on this book as soon as I have tidied up some other
things, including finishing the OOo Draw Guide and bringing in any
changes to the LibO Draw Guide.

BTW, the Math Guide is done, but I notice that I failed to update the
offical docs list on http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
to include it and the printed copy of the Calc Guide. The wiki page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation includes the Math Guide
but not the printed copy of the Calc Guide. I'll update both of those
pages later today.

Ahah. For some reason i thought Impress just needed a few moments work to
complete but had been stuck at that stage for a month or so. I was probably
getting muddled with the Math guide, which i thought was a long way off.

Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Sorry...I was too busy at work to be involved here. I will try to help what I can though. I have checked out a document from Impress for reviewing.

Jaimon

Hi :slight_smile:
Fantastic, thanks :slight_smile: I really meant that it would be good to finish off
something that was nearly complete and get it published just to get a result out
there fairly fast. However, work on the Impress Guide would be very much
appreciated.

Work outside TDF is a higher priority than work here for everyone so there is no
need to apologise for that! It is great to see you return tho :slight_smile:
Good luck and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Update:
In the interest of faster publication, and given the SC's decision that
Windows screenshots are acceptable, I am taking the approach that any
screenshots not otherwise needing replacement (to change OOo to LibO,
for example) can be left as they are for this release of the book... as
we've done for the other already-published books.

Therefore I have started going through the Impress Guide, reviewing
chapters against the software and making changes to text and/or
screenshots as needed, and putting the reviewed chapters in the Reviewed
space. I should be done with that later this week.

It would be good (and part of our standard procedures) to have someone
else "proofread", copyedit, or otherwise check my work; but IMO if that
doesn't happen within a week or so, we should just go ahead and publish
what we've got... again as was done with the other books.

--Jean

A reminder to anyone working on the Impress or Draw Guides: please use
LibreOffice 3.3.x, NOT 3.4.x, for the first edition of these books. This
is because there are differences between the 3.3 and 3.4 versions.

Linux users please note: for documentation, it's also best to use the
3.3.x downloaded from the LibreOffice website, NOT the one included with
your distribution. Again, there are (or may be) some differences.

When we update all the books, we'll use 3.4.x.

--Jean

Hi Jean
Glad you enjoyed your holiday. I have rebranded the Base Guides and started to check them and update the screenshots.

If there is anything else you need doing more than this please let me know.

I will download the impress chapters and proof read them/ work through the instructions when they are ready.

Regards

John

Hi

I have installed Linux, Ubuntu 10.2. I downloaded LibreOffice from PPA. There is no option to use Galaxy in the Options > view. Is this because I have downloaded the version from the PPA and not from the LibreOffice website. Or is this because of Linux/Ubuntu.

Regards

John

Hmmm... On the LibO (3.3.2) that was installed with my upgrade to Ubuntu
11.04, I see Galaxy as one of the icon style choices in Options >
LibreOffice > View. So I don't know what's going on with your setup.

--Jean

Hi John,

Hi

I have installed Linux, Ubuntu 10.2. I downloaded LibreOffice from PPA.
There is no option to use Galaxy in the Options > view. Is this because I
have downloaded the version from the PPA and not from the LibreOffice
website. Or is this because of Linux/Ubuntu.

If I remember correctly, Ubuntu has separate packages for the other themes. On person on the German list had the same problem.

The links he got were the following:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libreoffice-style&searchon=names&suite=natty&section=all

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/libreoffice-style-galaxy
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/libreoffice-style-tango

Maybe this is of some help for you too?

Sigrid

Files in the English Content > Documentation > Impress Guide > Reviewed
space are ready for proofing/copyediting/further review.

Or you are welcome to review any of the files (that are not checked out
by someone else) in English Content > Documentation > Impress Guide >
Drafts.

Regarding the Base Guide chapters, you'll notice that in addition to
other things, some sections need serious editing to improve the English,
and some reorganisation of the material may improve the flow and
usability for readers. As I'm sure you can tell, these are very much
draft chapters and need a lot more work than chapters in the other
books. So whatever you can do should be an improvement.

--Jean

Hi

Thanks Sigrid. That solved the problem.

Regards

John Cleland

Hi Jaimon,
I see you have Chapter 2 of the Impress Guide checked out since 11 July.
I appreciate that you are busy and may not have time to spend on it just
now, but could you give us an idea of when you might have it finished?
The rest of the book is almost ready to publish.

If you won't have time soon to finish it, could you check in what you've
done and I'll finish the work on that chapter? Thanks!

--Jean

Hi all,

I am really sorry for the delay. I am too busy with my work that I rarely get time to use my laptop at all. I will check out the document, but I haven't had time to work on it.

Regards
Jaimon

Jaimon, no problem at all; paid work, and other responsibilities of life
and family, quite rightly take precedence over volunteer work.

I'll take it over and do the next step (I have just checked it out).

P.S. I think you meant you would check the file IN, not out, or perhaps
cancel the checkout.

--Jean