Alfresco: choice between Explorer and Share interfaces

Hi,

While working towards workflow development and documentation for the
LibreOffice Alfresco platform, I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be
more pragmatic to target just one of the two available access
interfaces. Alfresco Explorer is currently exposing at
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org, and is the "older" Alfresco
interface. Alfresco Share is exposing at
http://documentation.libreoffice.org, and is the newer interface on
which the Alfresco project is focusing its development work.

Exposing only one of the two interfaces would simplify the work of
development and documentation of workflows, and would decrease the
exposure to potential hacking.

a) Does anyone have a particular preference for one or other
interface? (Recently, Jean said that, out of the two, she prefers the
Share interface.)

b) Does anyone have any comments to make about this idea?

Hello,

I'm just learning the Explorer; I can learn the Share interface.
Probably easier now rather than later. :slight_smile:
Which will be supported longer?
Whichever is the most intuitive is probably the best.
Make a choice and change if necessary.

Regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard,

I'm just learning the Explorer; I can learn the Share interface.
Probably easier now rather than later. :slight_smile:
Which will be supported longer?
Whichever is the most intuitive is probably the best.
Make a choice and change if necessary.

OK, well lets go for the Share interface then... I'll reconfigure the server.

Hi :slight_smile:
+1
Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

Hi Tom, Richard,

Hi :slight_smile:
+1
Sounds good to me :slight_smile:
Regards from
Tom  :)

Job done. :slight_smile:

Fine. What do I have to do different now?
My login went away.
HTTP Status 404 - /sharealfresco/faces/jsp/login.jsp

and there it is. :slight_smile:
Sorry for the bother.

Thanks, again.
The Share interface is much improved from the Explorer.
Editing Offline actually seems to work for me now.

Richard.

Good stuff :slight_smile: Congrats :slight_smile:

Hi Richard, Tom,

Fine. What do I have to do different now?
My login went away.
HTTP Status 404 - /sharealfresco/faces/jsp/login.jsp

Yep, you just needed to go to the root site URL again, to "refresh" things.

Everyone gets to the same page whether they use
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org or
http://documentation.libreoffice.org

In any case, thanks for your patience, and thanks for your work on
documentation. :slight_smile:

Ok, but I remind you that in the share interface we (at least me - I have admin rights - and a couple of test users) can't access the Spanish folder in the repository (is is supposed it is "my" folder) neither the Portuguese do Brasil nor the French one, I have no problems with the English folder.
I don't mind if it is necessary to delete the Spanish folder because there weren't any content, or if there is some is only test stuff.
Regards.
Juan C. Sanz

Hi Juan,

Ok, but I remind you that in the share interface we (at least me - I have
admin rights - and a couple of test users) can't access the Spanish folder
in the repository (is is supposed it is "my" folder) neither the Portuguese
do Brasil nor the French one, I have no problems with the English folder.
I don't mind if it is necessary to delete the Spanish folder because there
weren't any content, or if there is some is only test stuff.
Regards.
Juan C. Sanz

I'm a bit puzzled... Could you please explain what problems you're
having? Me, I manage to access those folders without problem. I'd like
to try and find the solution if possible.

Hello, David
I'll try to explain it better.
When the repository is accessed, on the left side there is a tree of folders. If I click over "English Content [en - English]", no problem, the content is shown on the right side, but if I click over the "Spanish Content [es - Espaňol]" folder the icon change to a couple of arrows turning (as if the sistem were "thinking") but the content on the right side don't change. If I double click on the "Spanish Content [es - Espaňol]" folder the content on the right side blinks as if were trying to change but return to the previous folder.
I have that problem just with the "Spanish Content [es - Espaňol]", "French Content [fr - français]" and "Portuguese Content [pt-br - Português do Brasil]" but I haven't any problem with any other folder.
As I have said, I have that problem with my user ID jucasaca who has Admin rights (I think). I created two new users just to test if a new user could access that folders, and the problem remain with these new users.
I hope I have explained it more clearly now and you can found a solution. Thanks.
Regards.
Juan C. Sanz.

Hi Juan,

[...]

Hmmmmmm... Strange. OK, I am going to rollback the change I made and
put the Alfresco Explorer interface back online, at least temporarily
while I figure out the source of the problem.

I'm wondering if it could possibly have anything to do with the folder
("space") names containing accented characters. Please can you allow
me 48-72 hours for all this, as I'm busy on client work right at the
moment? But I will not delay in posting back as soon as I get the
time.

Meanwhile, thanks for your patience and help with this problem.

[...]

No, no. The problem is not new with the last change but an old problem. I don't mind wait a couple of days or a week... or more for a solution. The Spanish team is not very active lately :-[ , so we are not in a hurry.

I'm wondering if it could possibly have anything to do with the folder
("space") names containing accented characters. Please can you allow
me 48-72 hours for all this, as I'm busy on client work right at the
moment? But I will not delay in posting back as soon as I get the
time.

Meanwhile, thanks for your patience and help with this problem.

Thanks to you

Hello David,

Just a bit more info on the problem. Maybe it's relevant.
I get the same spinning wheel when trying to open the Spanish content.
The center or right panel is open to Eng>GettingStarted;
and the little wheel is still turning on the Spanish content space.

When I double click on the Portuguese space, it shows loading documents,
then I am taken back to Eng space.

Double click on Spanish does the same, but the little wheel keeps turning on
the Spanish label on the dir tree on the left.

Richard.

Hi Juan, Richard,

Hello David,

Just a bit more info on the problem. Maybe it's relevant.
I get the same spinning wheel when trying to open the Spanish content.
The center or right panel is open to Eng>GettingStarted;
and the little wheel is still turning on the Spanish content space.

When I double click on the Portuguese space, it shows loading documents,
then I am taken back to Eng space.

Double click on Spanish does the same, but the little wheel keeps turning on
the Spanish label on the dir tree on the left.

I've just confirmed that problem myself. I've rolled back the server
reconfiguration I did, and now Alfresco Explorer is again available at
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org while Alfresco Share is available at
http://documentation.libreoffice.org.

The problem seems to be with accented characters in the folder
("space") names, although actual files in folders can contain accented
characters in text. It's obviously a major disadvantage for NL
projects (although this problem does not exist with Alfresco Explorer
at http://alfresco.libreoffice.org).

I renamed a couple of the folders ("spaces") minus the accents. Feel
free to correct the spellings and put the accents back.

I'll be taking this up with the Alfresco project ASAP to find a
solution, although there is now a new version of Alfresco out (we're
running 3.4c and 3.4d has been released). So I'll envision doing an
upgrade very soon. Simply doing that might fix things.

I'll report back on the issue as soon as possible.

In any case, in the meantime, all NL content can be accessed and
worked on via Alfresco Explorer (http://alfresco.libreoffice.org).

Guys, thanks for making me aware of the problem, and please do let me
know if you run into any others or if you have any questions.

Hi Juan,

No, no. The problem is not new with the last change but an old problem. I
don't mind wait a couple of days or a week... or more for a solution. The
Spanish team is not very active lately :-[ , so we are not in a hurry.

I'm wondering if it could possibly have anything to do with the folder
("space") names containing accented characters. Please can you allow
me 48-72 hours for all this, as I'm busy on client work right at the
moment? But I will not delay in posting back as soon as I get the
time.

Meanwhile, thanks for your patience and help with this problem.

It looks like the problem would be solved by an upgrade to the newest
version of Alfresco. I've just been testing a local installation with
accented folder names in the Share interface, and it works fine...
I'll have to confirm that, though, by checking for any differences in
locale support between my local Ubuntu Linux and the server's Linux...

In any case, I'll start a new thread asking for opinions about whether
we should upgrade...