Getting Started Guide_Setting up Libreoffice

Hi,

I have updated the images in this document (Setting up Libreoffice) with images taken in Linux (Ubuntu). I took a long time to finish because I was not around for some time.

Figure 26 and 27 were already taken in Linux, so they were not changed.

I have made a minor change in the content in "User interface – Screen font anti-aliasing" as there was some text referring to the image in Windows.

Jaimon

Hi :slight_smile:
Good work Jaimon :slight_smile: Great to see you back :slight_smile:

If you have time then Draw could use replacement screen-shots. The wording has
been dealt with and proof-read but if you spot something that needs changing
urgently then go ahead. I'm not sure about the status of Impress or Math. The
guide on how to start working in the Documentation Team needs re-working. Base
is a major challenge. Draw is the one that can be completed most quickly and
'just' needs screen-shots to complete it. So, there is a choice of targets at
many levels of complexity again. :slight_smile:

Don't worry if you don't have time or would rather do something completely
different. There are a few other people doing work here.
Congrats, many thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Jaimon,

Thank you very much for this work. :slight_smile:

Where have you put the files?

Hi David,

I have checked in the file here:  Company Home > English Content [en - English] > Documentation > Getting Started Guide, just like I had done the last time. Do I need to do something different?  I have a backup copy in my system.

Regards,
Jaimon

Hi Tom,

Thanks. I will start with Draw and always ready for some writing or proofreading work.

Regards,
Jaimon

One more thing. Do the documents in "Drafts" and "Proofread" both need image update?

Hi :slight_smile:
I'm not sure which. Jean was doing the proof-reading on the Draw documentation
about 14-16hours ago. John signed it in about 6 hours before that. Does the
modification date&time help identify the right ones to work on?

For Draw, only the ones in Drafts should need image updates. DO NOT
use the Chapter 1 file that is in Drafts; it's marked as "superceded"
but that may be easy to overlook. Also, check the "Discussions" for
each of the other chapters; some have notes I made about other things
that need to be done in some of the chapters.

If you feel like doing something more ambitious than Draw, the Impress
Guide needs reviewing as well as some image updates.

--Jean

Not necessarily. The main indicator is what space the files are in;
for Draw, the ones in Drafts have not had image updates done, while
the ones in Reviewed have been updated.

Modification dates may have changed for files I checked out, made some
minor changes, decided I didn't have time to finish, and checked back
in again with a note of things remaining to be done.

For some other books (Getting Started, Writer, Calc), files in
Reviewed or even Published may need image updates because that didn't
get done for the first edition.

Thanks Jean :slight_smile:

Tried my best, but I could not add my name to the contributor list.. :slight_smile: When I do an Enter, it always go down one space extra...

Thanks

Hi Jaimon,

Hi,

Tried my best, but I could not add my name to the contributor list..  :-) When I do an Enter, it always go down one space extra...

If it's OK with you, can you check the document back in, please, and
I'll try adding your name for you.

Use Shift+Enter for a line break, not a new paragraph.
--Jean

Thanks Jean :slight_smile:

Hi David,

Thanks. I have added my name and checked in the documents again.

That point should still be explicitly described in the exposition that is contained in all the various flavors of templates, no?

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
Shift and Enter compared to just Enter is a standard cross-platform feature in
many many different apps. It's not specific to LibreOffice. It's a bit like
knowing that Ctrl V pastes. 'Everyone' knows it. I only found out about it a
few months ago.

The OOo/LO template exposition concerning the contributor names included the advice to use Shit+Enter (similar to <br /> in XHTML) as a forced line break between names, so that question of the original poster need not have been made--assuming that the instructions in the template exposition were followed.

But again, there is no harm in asking...

As to pasting: the unformatted paste (Ctrl+Shift+V) is often more useful when pasting the clipboard contents from different documents, especially if different apps were used.

Gary

Hi,

Yeah. I should have gone through it more carefully. I got it now, but I have a doubt about the Impress guide. The images had been updated by Song with Ambiance theme, so they need to be updated with windows xp theme now?  Sorry for being too doubtful..

Regards,
Jaimon

Hi Jaimon,

Yeah. I should have gone through it more carefully. I got it now, but I have a doubt about the Impress guide. The images had been updated by Song with Ambiance theme, so they need to be updated with windows xp theme now?  Sorry for being too doubtful..

I don't see any particular reason to do anything to Song Chuan's
work... Unless you have a particular idea in mind? If not, the idea
would simply be to continue working on what is left to be done.

That would be my 2 cents...

@Song Chuan: Song Chuan, would you have any comments or suggestions?