Draw Guide

Hi Jean

I have worked my way through the rest of the chapters and updated the to LibO. I have not done any off the screen shots though.

I want to install Linux mainly to see what has happened on the desktop. I use Linux servers all the time but have not looked at the desktop for some time. Once this is complete I will go through and update the screenshots if they still need to be done.

Is there a guide on how to create the master document.

Also I found a mistake in the first chapter. I had changed the text for the hyperlink but not the link itself. I have changed this and uploaded a new version.

Regards

John Cleland

Hi John,

I have changed this and uploaded a new version.

Out of curiosity, where did you upload it?

Hi David

In the review section. I downloaded the copy from there to ensure I had the most up to date copy, made the change and uploaded it again.

Regards

John

Hi,

In the review section.  I downloaded the copy from there to ensure I had the
most up to date copy, made the change and uploaded it again.

OK, cool, thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi David and John,
I'm working my way through the chapters that John did, replacing a few
screenshots and moving the files to Reviewed as I do so.

Earlier, I had put Chapter 1 in Reviewed after I had gone through John's
work (see previous note from me).

--Jean

Draw Guide Chapter 6 has a lot of screenshots that need replacing, so
I'm skipping that one for the moment. Many chapters need few
replacements, so they go quickly.

John, you did a great job.

--Jean

Not really. I think the info in the chapter on producing LibO user
guides assumes one already has the master doc itself.

I was going to suggest starting with an existing master doc for another
book, but I can't find any on Alfresco. I suspect I was going to make
some corrections to the ones I have before uploading them... and never
got around to it. That is now #1 on my list for tomorrow.

--Jean

There's a master doc in the Getting Started on OOo. I have uploaded it and
all the others to "richardholt" space.
Don't know if it is available to others, but probably so?
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org/alfresco/faces/jsp/dashboards/container.jsp
It seemed to be working fine after I downloaded it from ODFauthors, GS33.

I am making corrections and updates to all the master documents, and
to the book (not chapter) template, so your copies will soon be out of
date.

I'll let the list know when I have uploaded the revisions. The changes
came about because I kept noticing anomalies and errors while putting
together books or checking older books. These are mostly on the minor
to trivial level, but I wanted to get everything up to date...
especially since the errors and anomalies were caused by me
overlooking things at an earlier stage.

--Jean

Great, I'll keep reviewing and working on the ones I downloaded.
I am learning more and more about Alfresco. It's a great collaborative
tool.
Look forward to being able to checkout from the actual Getting Started
repository
to avoid duplication of effort.

But I am still reading and learning the resources, so by the time the GS33
is up,
I should be ready as well.

Leaving early in the morning from Venezuela for Colombia to teach an oil
well control
course in Bogota. Supposed to be back late next Sunday. I'll keep working in
the evenings
to get more confident in Alfresco and the process. Usually have a good
connection there.

regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard,

Look forward to being able to checkout from the actual Getting Started
repository
to avoid duplication of effort.

Please could you give more details about any problems you're having
using Alfresco, and I'll clarify things or sort any problems out.
There *should* be nothing preventing you from checking out docs as
such... Probably only better explanations are needed.

I think he's using documentation.libreoffice.org, where AFAIK (from
earlier correspondence on this list) there is no Checkout option as
there is in alfresco.libreoffice.org. AFAIK, none of the choices
available, including "Edit Offline", lock the file so others know it
is being worked on.

Just was not able to upload directly to the GS repository.
I created a space, richardholt, and put the OOo GS 3.3 version to begin to
restructure
according to Jean's suggestions. Perhaps I will be able to upload or move
from there
to the GS repository when I have some documents ready.

No problem. I'm still learning about Alfresco's capabilities. It's very
capable it seems. :slight_smile:

regards,
Richard.

Hi Jean,

I think he's using documentation.libreoffice.org, where AFAIK (from
earlier correspondence on this list) there is no Checkout option as
there is in alfresco.libreoffice.org. AFAIK, none of the choices
available, including "Edit Offline", lock the file so others know it
is being worked on.

On documentation.libreoffice.org, the way to check out a document is
to navigate to the desired doc, then hover your mouse over the doc. To
the right, a menu will appear, with an option "More" at the bottom of
the list. Click on that and you will see at option "Edit offline".
When you choose that option and then download the document to your
local system, the document is indeed locked and flagged as "Editing
started by: xxxxxxxx" (where xxxxxxx is your user name). So the
mechanism is in fact the same, but the terminology is slightly
different.

Once again, this confusion is down to the fact that I/we need to get a
workflow finalized, we maybe need to make a choice between the
Alfresco Explorer and Alfresco Share interfaces, and then I/we need to
get the docs team contribution documentation up to date, based on
Jeremy's and Jean's excellent work.

I'm currently consulting with Jeff Potts about this, and we'll be
better organized shortly... (Jeremy and Samphan are in on the
conversation)...

Hi Richard,

Just was not able to upload directly to the GS repository.
I created a space, richardholt, and put the OOo GS 3.3 version to begin to
restructure

You actually already have a personal space "richardholt", which was
created when your account was originally created. I took a look in
there, and I see that you've already accumulated a certain amount of
content in there.

If you want me to help you out by moving any stuff around for you,
please do let me know what and where and I'll be pleased to do it for
you. Or else please do ask for any clarifications or help needed and
I'll fix you up.

I realize that it's not so easy getting up to speed quickly with
Alfresco at the present time because of the lack of up-to-date
instructions, but we'll get this problem sorted pretty quickly.
Meanwhile, thanks for your patience on the matter.

Hi :slight_smile:
+1
It looks nice and has a lot of powerful features. At work i use joomla as a CMS
for the website but Alfresco seems much more elegant. Most of us are new to
CMSes and any filing system is tricky at first. We just need experience using
it, which will just happen naturally of course :slight_smile:

Does "Edit Offline" make the document show up in the other view
(alfresco.libo) as locked or "editing started by" or some way of
knowing someone's working on it? I didn't think it did, but I haven't
tested this. "Edit Offline" in doc.libo doesn't seem to do that, and
perhaps whoever (I've forgotten who) was working on a file hadn't
picked the right choice in doc.libo and so an indicator didn't show up
in alfresco.libo. Sorry, I just haven't had time to do any testing to
see if I'm misremembering things... which is quite likely.

--Jean

OK, I was misremembering. I just tried it and it works like David
said. I knew it *should* work that way, so I'm glad to see it actually
does. I'm very glad to be wrong in cases like this! :slight_smile:

--Jean

Hi

I have sussed out where my problems are coming from.

If you log in using http://documentation.libreoffice.org the checkout facility is not available.

Where as if you log in using http://alfresco.libreoffice.org/alfresco then the checkout facility is available.

I arrived at the documentation.libreoffice.org address from the main website.

I have added the correct address to my shortcuts, so should be able to check out/check in now.

Regards

John

Hi John,

I have sussed out where my problems are coming from.

If you log in using http://documentation.libreoffice.org the checkout
facility is not available.

Where as if you log in using http://alfresco.libreoffice.org/alfresco then
the checkout facility is available.

Well, the "check-out facility" *is* there and works just the same, but
it's called differently on documentation.libreoffice.org (where it is
called "Edit offline")

This is because alfresco.libreoffice.org and
documentation.libreoffice.org are providing 2 somewhat
different-looking interfaces for working with the same Alfresco
platform. On alfresco.libreoffice.org, you have the "Alfresco
Explorer", which is the older interface - the first interface designed
by the Alfresco project. On documentation.libreoffice.org you have the
newer interface designed by the Alfresco project, which is called
Alfresco Share.

In the longer run, we will probably make a choice between them and
just keep one. But, right now, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer
choice. You can do just the same things via either interface, its just
that things will look slightly different and the method will be
*slightly* different, too.

HTH. Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer
quickly... and thanks for working on docs with us. :slight_smile: