[Fwd: Proposal for major revision of Getting Started guide]

Hello Jean,

I'd like to start work on the Getting Started Guide.
I am using LibO 3.3.3 installed on Debian Squeeze.
Through one change and another, I need the URL for the latest revision,
just to be sure.

regards,
Richard.

I see the GS33 here for OOo,
http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/gs3/V3_3_revisions

and I suppose that is what needs to be morphed into a GS33 for LibO?
Probably why I didn't find it before. :slight_smile:

regards.

Hi,

I see the GS33 here for OOo,
http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/gs3/V3_3_revisions

and I suppose that is what needs to be morphed into a GS33 for LibO?
Probably why I didn't find it before. :slight_smile:

regards.

If you're doing stuff for LibreOffice, the English docs are currently
being handlned via Alfresco (http://alfresco.libreoffice.org /
http://documentation.libreoffice.org)... while you're not under any
obligation to use Alfresco, I can create you an account there if you
like?

Hello David,

Thanks. It will probably make things simpler.
Use login: Richard or RichardH or JRichardH or RHolt or JRHolt
or whatever will fly. :slight_smile:

regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thanks. It will probably make things simpler.
Use login: Richard or RichardH or JRichardH or RHolt or JRHolt
or whatever will fly. :slight_smile:

Sure. :slight_smile:

I created your account and mailed you the credentials... Did you get them OK?

Yes, thanks.

Going to get a local copy and start to work using Jean's suggestions.
Once I get that sorted, I'll check back to see where the pieces go.

regards,
Richard.

You might also look at some of the files in the English > Resources
space, which includes (among other things) 4 draft chapters of the
Contributors' Guide for the LibreOffice Documentation Team:
* Joining the LibreOffice Documentation Team
* Producing LibreOffice User Guides
* Style Guide for LibreOffice User Guides
* Using LibreOffice's Alfresco Website

These documents, and the published versions of the user guides that
have already been rebranded (and where necessary) amended for LibO are
also available on the wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

If you are going to work on reorganising the Getting Started book, I
suggest putting your changed version into Getting Started > Drafts on
Alfresco, so as not to overwrite the current published version, since
the group has not yet agreed to my proposed changes. BTW, I have some
other notes about things I think should be changed on a less dramatic
scale, if you'd like to have them. You may well have even better ideas
than I do.

--Jean

Thanks Jean,

You might also look at some of the files in the English > Resources
space, which includes (among other things) 4 draft chapters of the
Contributors' Guide for the LibreOffice Documentation Team:
* Joining the LibreOffice Documentation Team
* Producing LibreOffice User Guides
* Style Guide for LibreOffice User Guides
* Using LibreOffice's Alfresco Website

I've been reading from this shelf this afternoon. Including about the Master
Doc.
You guys have certainly made great progress, with usage and the software as
well.

These documents, and the published versions of the user guides that
have already been rebranded (and where necessary) amended for LibO are
also available on the wiki:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

If you are going to work on reorganising the Getting Started book, I
suggest putting your changed version into Getting Started > Drafts on
Alfresco, so as not to overwrite the current published version, since
the group has not yet agreed to my proposed changes. BTW, I have some
other notes about things I think should be changed on a less dramatic
scale, if you'd like to have them. You may well have even better ideas
than I do.

OK. That's a blank slate. A good place for me to start.

I'd be happy to see your ideas on any other changes. I'll keep the notes and
do my best to work them in. I'll ask if it seems necessary. You've been
reading these docs for quite a while and I'm sure you will notice
inconsistencies as well as improvements.

regards,
Richard.

I've been looking at these docs for so long that I fail to see a lot
of things that could be improved, so it's very good to have someone
else going through them carefully and thoroughly.

Here are the rest of my notes:

Add a preface? "What's in this book?" "Who is this book for?" kind of
thing. Include reference to other user guides and related docs,
especially the chapters I've recommended making into stand-alone
documents ("What's NOT in this book").

In Ch1, drop the bits about starting from the command line. It's too
techie for this book's intended audience.

In Ch3, drop the note with the macro to re-enable a template. Also too techie.
Organizing templates section is too repetitive; could be collapsed
into one brief section.
Adding templates section doesn't need the bit on Extension Manager;
refer to the chapter on customizing.

"Too techie" stuff can go into the tips and howtos we're planning to
put on the wiki, so it's not lost.

--Jean

I'll put these on my list of things to review.

All the neat tricks are handy, so I'll start saving them in a "tips"
folder.
They are an important resource for getting ones work done.

Richard.

Hello Jean,

Well, I found the files on LO-Alfresco.
There is validity in RTFM. :slight_smile:

I'll remove the one I uploaded on the LO-ODF site, for practice.
We can move them in as needed, later. But it was good practice.

Richard.

@David,

Since there was no draft available in Alfresco/LibO/GettingStarted/Draft, I
got 0101GS3-IntroducingLibreOffice, the last published version from
Alfresco/LibO/GettingStarted/Published.

Now, I have reviewed, modified and I'm ready to upload my edited version,
but Add-Content is not an option from the Alfresco/LibO/GettingStarted/Drafts
folder.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10332409/Alfresco-LibreOfficeHomeGettingStarted-UploadDraft-20110712.png
is a picture of my dilemma. I have a file to upload to begin
GettingStarted
revisions for LibO33 but there is no Add Content button to push.

To whom should I send my file for perusal and approve/disapprove?

regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard,

Apologies for the tardy reply. I've upgraded your permissions on
Alfresco so that you'll have no problem adding new content now.

Could you maybe just post back and say where you've put it when you've
done so? Anyway, thanks for this work.

Thanks David.
Yes, I will post here as well when I upload the first.

This is a really powerful tool.
I'm beginning to get my mind around the process.

Richard.

OK. The first doc is up into Drafts.

Richard.

Now, the GS is pretty much reorganized as Jean outlined.
Now to begin reviewing the pieces and proofing them for references
to removed chapters and such.

Any suggestions for where to move the removed chapters and pieces.
I remember a comment about the wiki?

regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard,

Now, the GS is pretty much reorganized as Jean outlined.
Now to begin reviewing the pieces and proofing them for references
to removed chapters and such.

Any suggestions for where to move the removed chapters and pieces.
I remember a comment about the wiki?

I created a folder on http://documentation.libreoffice.org called 'Obsolete':

Repository > English Content [en - English] > Documentation > Getting
Started Guide > Obsolete

Maybe you could put it all there, and we could ultimately delete it
when we're sure we don't need it anymore?

In any case, thank you for this work you've done.

Thanks. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Some is to be made into stand alone docs and parts of others may be
obsolete. I'll go slowly. :slight_smile:
"To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer."

Hi Richard,

Some is to be made into stand alone docs and parts of others may be
obsolete. I'll go slowly. :slight_smile:
"To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer."

One solution is to put all the material in your own personal space and
work on it there then? As you know, you can find that at "Repository >
User Homes > richardholt". Or, if you like, we could rename the
"Obsolete" folder to "Richard's Work" while you're figuring out what's
what?