Impress Documentation sign up

I would like to help updating and then translating the Impress documentation to Spanish. How do I get access to the files in Alfresco?
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org/alfresco/faces/jsp/dashboards/container.jsp

Att.
Javier Cordero

Hi Javier,

I would like to help updating and then translating the Impress documentation
to Spanish. How do I get access to the files in Alfresco?

Sorry for the slow reply... I was offline yesterday. I created your
account on Alfresco and mailed you the details.

Hi :slight_smile:
Have you been able to get a login yet? I have a feeling that there were a few
people asking and i worry that someone might have been missed out. I should
have tried tracking this better.
Apols and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

No, I think I was missed out. Hehehe, no worries, I'll check the files calmly on the weekend.
Att.
Javier

Hi Javier,

No, I think I was missed out. Hehehe, no worries, I'll check the files
calmly on the weekend.
Att.
Javier

Did you get the Alfresco account details I sent you yesterday to the
mail address you're using here?

Hi Javier,

No, I think I was missed out. Hehehe, no worries, I'll check the files
calmly on the weekend.
Att.
Javier

Did you get the Alfresco account details I sent you yesterday to the
mail address you're using here?

No...

Hi :slight_smile:
Ouch, sorry! It's good to see David is sorting it out but perhaps his private
emails are being sent to your spam or junk folder?

Hi Javier,

No, I think I was missed out. Hehehe, no worries, I'll check the files
calmly on the weekend.
Att.
Javier

Did you get the Alfresco account details I sent you yesterday to the
mail address you're using here?

No...

Please check your corper@gmail.com mailbox for a message with the
subject line "Your Alfresco account at http://alfresco.libreoffice.org
/ http://documentation.libreoffice.org" sent by lists@traduction.biz.

Maybe take a look in your spam folder, as Tom suggested?

Got it. Thanks David.

Hola Javier

We are talking about improving screenshots for the documentation team, this is being discussed on the "design mailing list". Once we have agreed on a standard, I will be able to help out with screenshots for the Spanish documents.

Cheers

Marc

Great, we do need updated images on the Spanish interface. :smiley:
Sorry for the delayed reply, finals.

Att.
Javier

I am not sure, we are stil discussing the topic. I am sure it will be announced once there is an agreement.

Cheers

Marc

If I were them I would go by leaving the default theme, unless there's plans on mayor UI changes, also would use Windows 7 for the screenshots. I'm a Linux and FLOSS full time user, but Windows would be the best platform for it helps us reach a bigger market share. Most of the users who will read the manuals will run some variant of the MS OS.

As it happens, we had to talk about documentation and marketing strategy behind the look and feel of the screenshots. The theme has been picked, colours, font and there are just a few more things to discuss and there should be a protocol set for screenshots. A little tweaking will follow as usual.

If you are interested, feel free to re-read what was discussed up to date. Unfortunately, the thread on screenshots was broken quite a few time and the split in thread has made it a little more difficult to read, but it is still possible to read them to catch up to the discussion. Even so, feel free to jump in if you feel you have a point to make. The discussion is being done on the design mailing list.

Cheers

Marc

Hi Javier, *,

If I were them I would go by leaving the default theme, unless there's
plans on mayor UI changes, also would use Windows 7 for the screenshots.
I'm a Linux and FLOSS full time user, but Windows would be the best
platform for it helps us reach a bigger market share. Most of the users
who will read the manuals will run some variant of the MS OS.

Not too easy:

The microsoft website says:
http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/Permissions/Default.aspx#ERG

Use of Microsoft Copyrighted Content
Published: April 26, 2005 | Updated: November 13, 2009

Microsoft products and services—including images, text, and software downloads (the "content")—are owned either by Microsoft Corporation or by third parties who have granted Microsoft permission to use the content. Microsoft cannot grant you permission for content that is owned by third parties. You may only copy, modify, distribute, display, license, or sell the content if you are granted explicit permission within the End-User License Agreement (EULA) or License Terms that accompany the content or are provided in the following guidelines. For more information, consult your copyright attorney.

Requirements for Allowed Uses

For permission to be granted for any uses allowed by these guidelines, you must comply with the following four requirements:

1. If your use includes references to a Microsoft product, you must use the full
   name of the product. When referencing any Microsoft trademarks, follow the
   General Microsoft Trademark Guidelines.

2. You must include the following statement: "Used with permission from
   Microsoft."

3. Your use may not be obscene or pornographic, and you may not be disparaging,
   defamatory, or libelous to Microsoft, any of its products, or any other
   person or entity.

4. You may link to Microsoft content by using either a plain text link with
   words such as "This way to Microsoft.com" or by participating in an
   applicable Link Logo program. No other images may be used as a link to a
   Microsoft site.

And between a lot of other regulations you'll find this:

Screen Shots

You may not use screen shots of Microsoft product boot-up screens, opening screens, "splash screens," or screens from beta release products or other products that have not been commercially released. You may use other screen shots in advertising, in documentation (including educational brochures), in tutorial books, in videotapes, or on Web sites, provided that, in addition to the requirements above, you:

1. Do not alter the screen shot except to resize it.

2. Do not use portions of screen shots.

3. Do not include screen shots in your product user interface.

4. Do not use screen shots that contain third-party content.

5. Do not use screen shots that contain an image of an identifiable individual.

Point 2 disqualifies the use of Windows screenshots already.

Sigrid

Thanks for the info Sigrid

We should really continue this topic on the design mailing list so that it does not get too fractured[1]. It is really best to keep it to one list. I have copied this to the design mailing list where it can be continued.

Javier, if you are not signed up yet, you may want to sign up to the "design mailing list" to read the discussions on this topic. You can find the sign up details on the website[2]

Cheers

Marc

[1] http://go.mail-archive.com/6PEW59_BiSHJes8wtOF3wG6t2q4=
[2] http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/ux-visual-designers/

Hi,

Hi Javier, *,

> [...]

And between a lot of other regulations you'll find this:

Screen Shots

You may not use screen shots of Microsoft product boot-up screens, opening screens, "splash screens," or screens from beta release products or other products that have not been commercially released. You may use other screen shots in advertising, in documentation (including educational brochures), in tutorial books, in videotapes, or on Web sites, provided that, in addition to the requirements above, you:

1. Do not alter the screen shot except to resize it.

2. Do not use portions of screen shots.

3. Do not include screen shots in your product user interface.

4. Do not use screen shots that contain third-party content.

5. Do not use screen shots that contain an image of an identifiable individual.

Point 2 disqualifies the use of Windows screenshots already.

I forgot one more point:

Point 1 of this list does not allow us to add arrows or circles to make clear, about what we're talking about. (This modifies / alters the screenshot, and the only modification allowed is resizing). And I used arrows and circles quite a lot already in the first chapter of the getting started guide (and the english team did too) :wink:

@Marc
I saw your post on the design list and mentioned this point there as well. But I thought it's important to know for all the guys here too.

Sigrid

Hi :slight_smile:

I think it is better to avoid screen-shots taken in Windows even tho it is the
most widely used platform. The differences between the more OpenSource
platforms and the Windows one are not huge. The screen-shots can only give
people an approximate idea of where to look since there is a high chance of them
using different themes and screen resolutions.

I think having a more relaxed approach and "showing off" how customisable
LibreOffice is could be more important than branding and being consistent in
everything but a lot of people are arguing for a more unified, consistent
approach (which also makes sense to me).