[steering-discuss] Distributing the book "Getting Started with LibreOffice 3.3"

Hi :slight_smile:
This is being discussed by the steering committee but i thought the
Documentation Team might be interested too. I think there are political reasons
making it far better to distribute Documentation in English or American or
something so that's not really something we can usefully discuss. I just think
it's great to hear of widespread large-scale adoption of LibreOffice.

Hi Tom,

I got your point and feel free to update the Documentation Team as well.

Best Regards,
Danishka

ReHi Tom and Danishka:

(Tom: Please see personal message below).

For all:

Being a long time techie who first got his nose into technology about half a century back, I love the open source approach. I think it is more socially fair to all, and that I see as globally essential.

When Oracle bought out Sun Microsystems, many of us knew that Open office would slowly become "less open", and it seems to me that a number of Oo users, (I remember one German engineer amongst others) wisely decided we needed a suite that was totally and irrevocably dedicated to being non-profit and open source.

At the time, I was able to use this on my Windows XP based platforms, but not on the Fedora ones.

Since then, I have upgraded the hard drive on the laptop I rebuilt when someone had walked on it and broken the screen. Instead of the original 160 Gb. hard drive, it now uses a Seagate Momentus 500 Gb. Hybrid SSD/conventional Hard drive. I Find that Seagate's interface technology for dynamically optimizing the use of the 2 storage areas and rendering the whole to the system as one hard drive works very well in Fedora. Fedora 13 loaded a fresh install like wildfire.

Shortly thereafter, I got an automatic upgrade that ended up installing Fedora 15, i386 on the machine, and that runs as well as any, although I found I needed to add Docker to it for legibility of the preferred icons.

Fedora 15 came with LibreOffice - hooray!

I imagine when I upgrade the other Linux installation to F15 x-86_64, it will also come with Libre Office.

That machine dual boots Win XP and Linux and can handle a third platform if needed, all BIOS controlled. It has 4 physical SATA hard drives. One, a 160 Gb. is currently failing, and in a week or so will be replaced with an SSD.

The purpose of this is for the swap files, so it is partitioned with 3 primary partitions, one a Linux Swap partition of about 12 Gb. (Lots of space here), and an extended partition.

The 2 other primary partitions are used to divert the Windows pagefile.sys (read swap file) so that Windows does not have to wait for the boot drive to seek in order to swap.

This, like Seagate's Momentus drives, should speed up the system for all the platforms considerably.

The third primary partition,. and the remaining space, can be used for swap files associated with specific applications, especially those which are processor intensive, such as Photoshop, Gimp, VideoLan, Cinelerra, etc.

I have yet to investigate whether Libre Office can use this kind of dedicated swap space or not, especially as I use Libre Office Draw extensively, and some of the drawings are quite data-large.

Hopefully this little message will generate some added excitement for readers about what one can do on a fairly frugal budget when one wants to enough.