User Guides - Bleeding edge versions?

Hi,

as the Germanophone project is starting to update + translate the
localized Versions of the User Guides (beginning with Getting Started),
I'd like to know if there are some newer versions (or drafts) available
than those found in the wiki[1].

And if there are some, where can find them without asking?

Thanks,
Nino
[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Hi :slight_smile:
I think the ones on the wiki are the latest completed ones. There might be soem
partially updated things in Alfresco but it's probably much better to work with
the released versions that are on the wiki.

Nino,

The latest version of all individual chapters of the Getting Started
guide and other guides are on the wiki. The compiled books may not
contain the latest version of all the chapters, because it's a lot of
work to create a new compiled book. Full books will be updated when all
the chapters have been revised with new screenshots. Chapters are
updated on the wiki when they are revised.

The latest drafts of the Impress Guide and Draw Guide are on the
Alfresco site. You'll need a login if you don't already have one. Some
of these draft chapters have not yet been rebranded from OOo or checked
for correct LibO info.

There is some inconsistency in where files are stored on Alfresco,
because we've all been too busy to sort them out and put them in the
correct spaces. That is, some published chapters are still shown in
Reviewed. This is because I published a lot of chapters before they had
been reviewed by several people as they should be -- I thought it was
important to have the info available to users as soon as possible.
People are now going through those files and updating them as needed.

--Jean

Thanks Jean,

I think I'll need an Alfresco login to be able to followup updates as
soon as they happen :wink:

Nino

Hi :slight_smile:
I think Alfresco might be an excellent place to do the translations. I think
part of the set-up for it included space for translation work? I thought
translations teams had already chosen whether to work within the Alfresco
framework or to carry on with whatever system they are already familiar with.

We are testing odfauthors and wiki for translation work. Maybe if the
tooling will not satisfy our (growing?) needs, we will test Alfresco in
future.

Nino

Hi :slight_smile:
They are all good too :slight_smile: Hopefully David or Jean can set-up an Alfresco login
for you for the things you do need it for.
Good luck and regards form
Tom :slight_smile:

I've set up your account. Please look for a private email from me with
login info.

--Jean

Thank you Jean,
I'm "in" :slight_smile:

Nino

Hi Nino,

Sorry I got there late. If you need any help with Alfresco, please do
feel free to buzz me. All the latest and greatest Engish docs stuff is
on Alfresco, as Jean explained, but the wiki is being used as the
final drop point for user-downloadable product.

I'm busy working on workflows on Alfresco at this time, so things will
get better organized soon.

If the German community wants to test Alfresco as a working platform,
please do give a heads-up and I'll be pleased to give you any help
possible.

Hi Nino,

Sorry I got there late. If you need any help with Alfresco, please do
feel free to buzz me.

Thanks, David.

At first glance, all seems self-explaining, so I'll return to you (or
the list) if I can't solve something myself.

All the latest and greatest Engish docs stuff
is on Alfresco, as Jean explained, but the wiki is being used as the
final drop point for user-downloadable product.

That's the reason I wanted access to Alfresco: to be able to inform
myself about the status quo without asking :slight_smile:

I'm busy working on workflows on Alfresco at this time, so things
will get better organized soon.

Fine.

If the German community wants to test Alfresco as a working platform,
please do give a heads-up and I'll be pleased to give you any help
possible.

We are just starting to explore working environments for
translation/authoring in fine granular portions. The first tool to test
was/is wiki, which - as far as I notice - seems to be well accepted by
the majority of contributors. So the first choice was the best in this
case. At least for the moment :wink:

BTW: What we are looking for is a collaborative editing tool. Does
Alfresco provide such a tool?

Nino

Hi Nino,

BTW: What we are looking for is a collaborative editing tool. Does
Alfresco provide such a tool?

Well, if you count the ability for a document to be checked out by a
team member and marked as such until checked in, then yes. Plus,
workflows can be developed to extend this kind of collaboration.

But, if you're thinking of a tool that lets several people work on a
doc - within LibreOffice Writer, for example - and have edits
incorporated into a document from several contributors working in
parallel, then Alfresco does not go that far for the moment.

There is a dormant plugin project on Alfresco Forge for OOo that
allows/allowed something somewhat akin to this, although it is still
at an early stage of development. I've been in contact with Jeff Potts
of the Alfresco project to see if we can't revive development of this
plugin, and a phone meeting is planned to take place sometime next
week. One of the LibreOffice devs should be attending the meeting, as
will the original project admin, as will I, and the idea is to see
where the code base is at, and what can be done about getting things
rolling again so that we get it functional for LibreOffice. So maybe
we'll have some news about that soon? It would be interesting
functionality.

Does this answer your query?

> BTW: What we are looking for is a collaborative editing tool. Does
> Alfresco provide such a tool?

Well, if you count the ability for a document to be checked out by a
team member and marked as such until checked in, then yes. Plus,
workflows can be developed to extend this kind of collaboration.

no, what I meant was the second:

But, if you're thinking of a tool that lets several people work on a
doc - within LibreOffice Writer, for example - and have edits
incorporated into a document from several contributors working in
parallel, then Alfresco does not go that far for the moment.

Yep, that was the question.

There is a dormant plugin project on Alfresco Forge for OOo that
allows/allowed something somewhat akin to this, although it is still
at an early stage of development. I've been in contact with Jeff
Potts of the Alfresco project to see if we can't revive development
of this plugin, and a phone meeting is planned to take place
sometime next week. One of the LibreOffice devs should be attending
the meeting, as will the original project admin, as will I, and the
idea is to see where the code base is at, and what can be done about
getting things rolling again so that we get it functional for
LibreOffice. So maybe we'll have some news about that soon? It would
be interesting functionality.

Does this answer your query?

Thanks, that was exactly my impression after speed-scanning the Alfresco
Homepage. So for the moment, we will continue to work with the wiki.

Nino