signing on...

Greetings to you all.

I just wanted to show and and declare myself interested in working on documentation for Base, which I started using last week. My appearance here has been urged upon me by Tom Davies, and I'll have to trust his wisdom on this, as I'm no expert. I do, however, keep copious notes on most things I learn about new software, and have years of work with MS Access, developing databases for my own use.

Right now, as I get the time, I'm accumulating everything I can find that looks like documentation for Base, while also rushing to get several databases up and running. I find Base is pleasantly stable, full of features, and not exactly well documentated. It's also slower than I expected, even with indexes in place (but maybe I'm messing something up, being new to this software). But it's a great piece of work, and I expect to be working with it for many years ahead.

I write a lot, and I'm very willing to contribute documentation, or at least drafts for others to tune up as needed. I know I have much to learn, but I'm on track with learning it, so...

I'm open to any suggestions as to where I need to go to learn how to be a better documentation contributor.

Thanks for your patience while I learn the ropes.

Tom Cloyd, MS MA
tc@tomcloyd.com
(435) 272-3332
St. George/Cedar City, Utah

Tom

[...]

I am working on the base documentation, very slowly. Send me a email off
list I will tell where I am at.

Tom, have you found the "Getting Started with Base" chapter? That's
one of the few docs we have on Base. There's also Mariano's Base
tutorial, linked from here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation#Other_Documentation_and_Resources

Jay can no doubt point you to other bits of info, drafts, etc. Your
work with Access sounds like a good background for writing Base doco.

As for contributing to documentation, do read the documents linked
from this wiki page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team

Meanwhile, one of us will set up an account for you on the Alfresco
website, where we coordinate document production. You'll get a private
email with your username and password. If you don't get that within a
day or so, ping us a reminder.

--Jean

Hi Tom,

I set-up a user account for you on Alfresco and mailed you off-list
with the details.

HTH.

Hi Jay,

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com

It would be great if you could update the rest of us here on the list,
too... I understand that things can take time, but could we just get
an idea of where you're at?

TIA if so,

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks :slight_smile: Oh, the other person with an excellent name. Still thanks :slight_smile: So,
now we have a team working at Base documentation; Planas, Alex and Tom?
Regards from
another Tom :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
I think there is a lot of stuff out there. Alex Thurgood or someone gave an
excellent list a while ago. Hopefully that list is somewhere in the Alfresco
Base space.