Unable to get to PDF Options on Ubuntu

I'm using the version of LibO that came with Ubuntu 11.04. When I create
a PDF, it does not give me the PDF Options dialog. Does anyone else have
this problem on this platform? Does anyone know if it's deliberate, or a
known bug? Or it could be some weirdness of my setup.

Aside: I've been unable to get LibO 3.3.3 or LibO 3.4 to work, but I've
probably failed to do something essential. The downloaded programs
appear to install, but I cannot start them. No matter what I choose, it
always opens in the LibO that came with Ubuntu. I didn't try the
"desktop integration" because I wanted to have both versions available,
and I believe that for awhile I did have both available. I don't have
time right now to troubleshoot this installation, so my workaround is to
open a file in OOo and create the PDF from there.

--Jean

Jean,

Aside: I've been unable to get LibO 3.3.3 or LibO 3.4 to work, but
I've probably failed to do something essential. The downloaded
programs appear to install, but I cannot start them. No matter what
I choose, it always opens in the LibO that came with Ubuntu. I
didn't try the "desktop integration" because I wanted to have both
versions available, and I believe that for awhile I did have both
available. I don't have time right now to troubleshoot this
installation, so my workaround is to open a file in OOo and create
the PDF from there.

there are instructions in the wiki on how to install several instances
of LibreOffice in parallel[1] e.g. for testing purposes. Give it a try
and feel free to ask questions about problems here as the instructions
might be a bit buggy (they might have been written in a a bit "quick and
dirty" manner).

So you can use any version you need besides of the original (ubuntu or
whatever) productive version.

Nino
[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

Thanks, Nino. I've done this successfully before, following the
instructions. It didn't work this time. It's probably user error, but as
I said I don't have time right now to figure out what I did wrong or ask
a question. Perhaps tomorrow, perhaps later in the week. Low priority
right now. --Jean

I rewrote the instructions to make debugging easier.

Maybe you'll give it one more try when you need parallel install again.

Any of the documenters trying out new features are also invited to give
feedback, see separate mail.

Nino

I certainly will read your revised instructions and try again, but I'm
beginning to suspect problems with Ubuntu. A variety of things have gone
wrong since I updated this machine to 11.04, and I'd had some odd
problems before that. I don't think the same problems are occurring on
other machines with clean 11.04 installs, so I may need to do something
drastic with my main machine... when I can find time.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

I'm using the version of LibO that came with Ubuntu 11.04. When I create
a PDF, it does not give me the PDF Options dialog. Does anyone else have
this problem on this platform? Does anyone know if it's deliberate, or a
known bug? Or it could be some weirdness of my setup.

Mine works OK (I'm also on Ubuntu 11.04). Was your Ubuntu 11.04 a new

installation or an upgrade? When I upgraded from 10.10, the result was less
than perfect, while a fresh 11.04 installation was fine... However, from
the viewpoint of a PDF export from LibreOffice, I have no problems here even
on an upgraded system.

Thanks, David. This was an upgrade, and I've had a lot of odd problems
with various programs. If it were Windows, I'd suspect malware, but
I'm sure it has something to do with the upgrade. Regardless of the
cause, I really do have to pry loose some time to Do Something about
it. :slight_smile:

--Jean

Hi Jean,

Thanks, David. This was an upgrade, and I've had a lot of odd problems
with various programs. If it were Windows, I'd suspect malware, but
I'm sure it has something to do with the upgrade. Regardless of the
cause, I really do have to pry loose some time to Do Something about
it. :slight_smile:

Given that 10.10 to 11.04 was a singular step forward, with the
changeover from the classic Gnome interface to the new Unity
interface, I'm about to back-up all my stuff and do a fresh install...

I don't use the Unity interface; I chose the classic. In fact, at
first Ubuntu complained that my hardware didn't support Unity, which
AFAIK is not true. But that's beside the point: it certainly could
well be that such a major change did have repercussions in the update.
I must use my netbook a bit more; it's currently running the Unity
interface but I haven't used it enough to tell if it's having weird
program problems as well. Too many computers, too little time! :wink:

--Jean

I've got the parallel installs ( LibO 3.3.3, LibO 3.4.1, and the LibO
3.2 that comes with Ubuntu) working now on Ubuntu 11.04. I didn't
resort to reinstalling Ubuntu, but perhaps one of the many updates
fixed something obscure, or maybe whatever I was doing wrong I did
right this time. Whatever the reason, it seems to be working as it
should. Just thought you'd like to know (those who were helping me).

I've got the parallel installs ( LibO 3.3.3, LibO 3.4.1, and the LibO
3.2 that comes with Ubuntu) working now on Ubuntu 11.04.

Fine.

Did you follow the steps described above? so is the description correct?

Whatever the reason, it seems to be working as it
should. Just thought you'd like to know (those who were helping me).

Thank you for letting un know :slight_smile:

Nino

> I've got the parallel installs ( LibO 3.3.3, LibO 3.4.1, and the LibO
> 3.2 that comes with Ubuntu) working now on Ubuntu 11.04.

Fine.

Did you follow the steps described above?

No, that was much too geeky for me. I did a simpler (for me) variation.
I have no idea why I had problems at first, because it later started
working and I didn't change anything.

--Jean

Could you tell how yo did it?

Nino

Probably, but not tonight. --Jean

Hi :slight_smile:
Good work Jean :slight_smile: Nicely done :slight_smile: If anyone wants guidance on installing Ubuntu
or wants to revert to the 10.04 LTS (or 10.10) then feel free to email me
off-list.

Actually, Tom, my point was that I didn't do anything except let
Ubuntu do its daily updates of this and that. I didn't reinstall
anything or tweak anything on my own. So I haven't tried your
instructions, but I have filed them for reference in case I should
need them later.

--Jean