PING John Cleland: Status of Calc Guide?

I'm back from my travels and trying to catch up. With all the emails on
this list while I was away, I may not be seeing some.

John, the last note I can find (dated 25 May) says you were having
another go at the compiled Calc Guide and hoped to upload the corrected
files "tomorrow", but I can't find them. The files in the Calc Reviewed
space are the ones with errors. What's the status of your work on the
book?

--Jean

Hi Jean

Thought I had done this, tried to re-upload but my password did not work, probably me. Couldn't see how to reset password, do you know how to do this.

Think links fixed.

There are some parts for example on page ten the text

"If you want to use macros written in Microsoft Excel using the VBA macro code in LibreOffice, you must first edit the code in the LibreOffice Basic IDE editor. See Chapter 12, Calc Macros"

This does not seem to have a link to chapter twelve in the source, should this have a link.

I have updated the odt file with new address and will update the sections as well and upload theses

Apologies

John Cleland

Hi Jean

Thought I had done this, tried to re-upload but my password did not work,
probably me. Couldn't see how to reset password, do you know how to do
this.

I can provide you with a new password, which you can then change to one
of your choice. Look for a private email from me soon.

Think links fixed.

There are some parts for example on page ten the text

"If you want to use macros written in Microsoft Excel using the VBA macro
code in LibreOffice, you must first edit the code in the LibreOffice Basic
IDE editor. See Chapter 12, Calc Macros"

This does not seem to have a link to chapter twelve in the source, should
this have a link.

Because the chapters are created separately, links between chapters are
too time-consuming to implement in the compiled book, so we don't.

John, did you get my email with your changed password? If you're still
having problems uploading the .odt file to Alfresco, please put it
somewhere else on the web and send a direct URL so one of us can pick it
up and upload it. You've done the work; please don't let a technical
glitch stop you from sharing it. We're here to help. Thanks!

--Jean

Hi Jean

Sorry for delay eventually worked out password correct user name was not.

I have uploaded the odt file and the pdf file. Thanks to David for offering to help as well.

I will look at the Calc guide and update when one of the chapters has changed.

I think previous errors are sorted. Have looked through the pdf and think the links work. If they do not please let me know and I will try to sort.

One thing I noticed using Acrobat Reader on Windows 7, was that on clicking the links to the screenshots the link went to the text and you had to scroll down to view the screenshot. I am not sure if this is the case using other pdf readers and operating systems. If the title for the screen shot was put on the top of the screenshot then the screenshot would appear in the screen.

What about an Html version of the user guide. I think html has the advantage over pdf in that there is a back button which makes viewing easier.

If either of the ideas above are accepted then I would be happy to do the work.

Regards

John

Thanks, John. I have just downloaded the files and will look at them
today and let you know if I spot any problems. If I do see any and they
are easy to fix, I'll probably just fix them myself; otherwise I'll let
you sort it out.

Using LibO or OOo, figure captions can only be put below the figure,
unless that's been changed in the latest release. There are manual ways
to do this, but AFAIK each causes other problems when exporting to some
formats. Also, figure captions are normally placed below in the software
docs I'm familiar with. IMO we should leave it as is, at least for now.
I'm always concerned about making decisions that are good for one
situation without testing to see what if any negative consequences arise
in other situations.

HTML version? For the wiki, you mean? Or for somewhere else? Using what
method to generate it? Please start a separate thread for this topic so
the team members are more likely to see it and discuss the proposal.

--Jean

I found a few formatting issues, almost surely to do with something I
did wrong with the book template and/or the .odm file. I fixed them in
the Calc Guide and will check and revise the .ott and .odm as needed.

I did a very quick, random check of some of the cross-references, but
didn't find any problems there. It all looks good.

I have uploaded the revised CG files (.odt and .pdf) to Alfresco and
will soon add them to the wiki. I've deleted your versions, to avoid
confusion.

Thanks for your work on this. It's very much appreciated.

--Jean