Screenshot quality, Impress Chapter 3

Hi all

Should I change to other theme to solve the contract between the text and background color?

Do you want me to select a character for Figure 4? I will re-do the screenshot as stated.

Regards
Song Chuan

Hi :slight_smile:
I feel really bad about this. You asked about themes and things ages ago and we
gave no clear definitive answers. I tend to think that racing through is more
important than any other considerations.
Apols and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi all

Should I change to other theme to solve the contract between the text and background color?

I think it would be good to change themes, but if others disagree with
me (and think what you have used is okay) then there is no requirement
to follow my suggestions. BTW, I have put the files for the "Ubuntu
xp-silver" theme in the English > Resources section. That's the one I
use, but it is not as good as it could be. The theme used by Jaimon is
very good (though I don't think it is ideal either), but I don't know
what it is. I have not had time to look for, or create, a theme that I
consider ideal for screenshots.

Do you want me to select a character for Figure 4?

Yes, please, any will do.

Hi :slight_smile:
I think keep going doing new ones but change themes. If there is time at the
end then we can come back to re-do the ones that are already done (if needed).

+1
I was just typing a note to that effect. :slight_smile:

--Jean

Earlier, I wrote,

... The theme used by Jaimon is very good (though I don't
think it is ideal either), but I don't know what it is.

I've checked and I think it's Clearlooks. The only thing I really don't
like about it is the white text on blue background in highlighting and
in the title bar.

Overall, I still prefer the "Ubuntu XP-silver" theme that Michele Zarri
developed for the OOo docs. Being a neutral gray means it goes with any
colour scheme, and the contrast is good, though not ideal -- nothing is
ever ideal, is it? And the Mac users in the Docs team can produce
similar-looking screenshots to those created by Ubuntu users. (I don't
know what themes might be available on other Linux distros.)

--Jean

Hi all,

I've just updated Figure 4 to 10 with Clearlooks theme. I've also updated
Figure 22 with smaller font and thinner arrow. I've just installed
Ubuntu xp silver theme and work on other chapter with XP theme.

Regards,
Song Chuan

Hi Song Chuan,

Hi all,

I've just updated Figure 4 to 10 with Clearlooks theme. I've also updated
Figure 22 with smaller font and thinner arrow. I've just installed
Ubuntu xp silver theme and work on other chapter with XP theme.

That's great. Thanks very much for your work on this.

We should try to coordinate the documentation team's and website team's screenshot theme if we could. Could you point me to an example of a screenshot using the Clearlooks theme? For screenshots, the website team is using the following advice on our wikipage screenshots section[1]. You can see the results on the webiste pages 3.4 Features pages.[2] It would be nice if we could share the same "recommended method of taking a screenshot". We could maybe point to the same wiki page "advice on taking screenshots" section where these recommendations would be posted.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website#Contribution_and_Support
[2] http://www.libreoffice.org/download/3-4-new-features-and-fixes/

Hi,

Its Clearlooks. I have installed Ubuntu XP-silver and from now on, I will use that..

Jaimon

Marc,
Please see here for samples:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Production#Sample_screenshots

IMO the Clearlooks looks better for website display, but XP-Silver is
better for the user guides.

I haven't had time to review your links, and I have to go out now for
several hours. I'll get back to this when I can.

--Jean

Thanks for the sample. I'll see if I can find an equivalent for my Mageia Kde 4.6.3.

We should work of the same standards to add conformity to our screenshots. It would be great if we could work off the same wiki page describing the agreed to standards for screenshots. Maybe the link I sent you could be this wiki site where we could coordinate these standards as the design team also access these pages.

Cheers

Marc

I'll look at that when I can, Marc, but to be honest I don't think there
is much if any overlap between the screenshots necessary/appropriate for
the website and marketing efforts, and the screenshots necessary for the
user guides. I have no objection to using the same standards if they
work for both situations, but I don't see any real reason or need for
conformity beween the two. Of course, I may be missing something.

And, also of course, it's not my decision. I'm only an opinionated,
outspoken advisor. :slight_smile:

--Jean

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on the choice of theme colours that you use. In the meantime, I'll give the Clearlooks theme a closer look and will not suggest a change to the theme that we (website members) are following at this time unless the advantages are worth the change. Maybe later we could revisit this and talk it over if this is thought of as being worthwhile.

Cheers

Marc

BTW ... is there a download page where I can find the XP-Silver theme from Michele Zarri?

Cheers,

Marc

Hi Marc,

The XP silver theme can be found at Alfresco. Located at English Doumentation>Resource section

Regards
Song Chuan

Thanks, I got it. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Marc

Can you supply a URL?
David

It is also found on the Production wiki page here: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Production#Sample_screenshots

Cheers

Marc

The link is just above the sample images.

Direct URLs for Alfresco files do not appear to be possible, so I put
the file on the wiki as well.

--Jean