Help needed?

Hi documentation people,

A friendly person called Tom Davies gently nudged me towards this newsgroup, saying that you needed some more people to help you out. Since the Document Foundation is so friendly to let me use all this fancy software for free, I thought it would be rude not to give it a try.

My name is Rik De Busser and I'm a linguist at the Academia Sinica, a research institute in Taiwan. Unlike many of you, I am a relatively recent convert to LibreOffice: I only started using it three months ago to write a book. I have experience writing (boring academic work) and can do some simple graphical work. For my job I have to try to find out how to make LibreOffice do all kinds of fancy stuff anyway, so Tom pointed out that I might as well write some of it down.

I'm not really sure if that makes me a useful person to you, and I am also not certain yet how much time I will be able to spend, but I'm willing to give it a try. No idea what exactly I'd have to do...

Best,

Rik De Busser
www.rdbusser.com

Hi Rik,

wrote a documentation for students and authors three years ago in German and
have been updating it ever since:
http://www.fb4.fh-frankfurt.de/tips/openoffice/dokumentation/ooo_fuer_studenten.odt

Even if you don't know much German, perhaps that will give you some ideas.

Jean and another David (Nelson) offered their help in translating it into
English.

Best
Dave

Hi Rik,

[...]

Well, thanks for the offer. There are plenty of areas you could get
involved in. Maybe you'd like to have a look at our documentation
contributors page [1] and see what you feel you might be able to take
on?

[1] http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/documenters/

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks for the compliments there.

I am not sure how you sign-up for an Alfresco account to access documents that
need to be worked on. Also i'm not sure what people are working on at the
moment nor what is next in line. Base is usually a good bet but i have a
feeling that Draw or Math might be next? Impress is being worked on by Song
Chuan's crew? Jaimon is sorting various screen-shots in the starter's guide?

There is no obligation to help but there is plenty to be gained from
collaborating with people in here. There is a lot of skill, experience and
knowledge in here, even with new people, if you want to learn your way around
LibreOffice quickly.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks for the compliments there.

I am not sure how you sign-up for an Alfresco account to access documents
that
need to be worked on.

I agree with this. I went to the docs team page, and found a link to the
mailing list, and then these two links:

http://alfresco.libreoffice.org

http://documentation.libreoffice.org

If you go to those two pages, and you don't have an account, it's not clear
what you need to do. Those links are very spare landing pages, and they
don't show you how to access the current documentation, or how to start
contributing.

As a note, I contribute to both Gnome and Ubuntu docs, so my free time is
limited, but I do want to be aware of what's going on in LibreOffice docs. I
think a member of your group is also on the Ubuntu docs list. :slight_smile:

Jim

Hi,

I agree with this. I went to the docs team page, and found a link to the
mailing list, and then these two links:

http://alfresco.libreoffice.org

http://documentation.libreoffice.org

If you go to those two pages, and you don't have an account, it's not clear
what you need to do. Those links are very spare landing pages, and they
don't show you how to access the current documentation, or how to start
contributing.

As a note, I contribute to both Gnome and Ubuntu docs, so my free time is
limited, but I do want to be aware of what's going on in LibreOffice docs. I
think a member of your group is also on the Ubuntu docs list. :slight_smile:

Well, Tom Davies is signed up there, and I'm also signed up to the
Ubuntu docs list, although I don't read it much right now (too much
else pouring into my mailbox). I'm an Ubuntu user myself, with 11.04
running "classic" Gnome rather than Unity.

On the English docs team wiki index page, it recommends people to post
to the mailing list to make contact with the team. I, or one of the
other Alfresco admins, then expeditiously create an Alfresco account
for the new contributor and support them in getting down to work.

The Alfresco platform is currently requiring some configuration work
to really get the best out of it, although it's a fully-operational
and usable facility just as it stands at this time. We have a
conversation on-going with the Alfresco project about this. In any
case, work will be started within the coming 2 weeks. Then a guide
will be updated to provide better information.

Until that time, I try to be as responsive as possible as regards
people's questions here on the list, whether about Alfresco or
whatever other docs related subject, as do some other regular docs
contributors, so please feel free to ask whatever you'd like to know.

Hi Jim, Tom,

Hi there,

> Hi :slight_smile:
> Thanks for the compliments there.
>
> I am not sure how you sign-up for an Alfresco account to access documents
> that
> need to be worked on.

I agree with this. I went to the docs team page, and found a link to the
mailing list, and then these two links:

http://alfresco.libreoffice.org

http://documentation.libreoffice.org

If you go to those two pages, and you don't have an account, it's not clear
what you need to do. Those links are very spare landing pages, and they
don't show you how to access the current documentation, or how to start
contributing.

As far as I remember, you have to write to the list here and ask for an account, since self-registration is not enabled. David or someone else with admin rights will setup your account and mail you the details directly.

Sigrid