Changes in UI and Help for new way of B-splines

Hi all,

with implementation of the new, ODF1.2 way of B-splines
[http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5#Calc]
some changes in the UI and help are needed. I have collected them in
http://www.rhenschel.homepage.t-online.de/files_to_be_changed.txt

It would be nice, if you have a look and correct them to good English.

If you know other places which need a change, please tell me.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi. How did you want edits conveyed to you. Short one below, did you want the other in the list
steve

    * Supports 32000 sheets and improves the performance of many
      operations when working on sheets (inserting of several sheets
      should be much faster now). (Markus Mohrhard)
    * Handles DDE and external link update failures more gracefully;
      instead of turning formulas with a failed link update into errors,
      keep the previous values and launch an error message notifying the
      user of the link update failure. (Kohei Yoshida)
    * The method by which line charts are smoothed has been adapted to
      the ODF1.2 standard. (Regina Henschel)
          o Closed lines are now smoothed using a “Cubic Spline” and are
            completely rounded.
          o Open Lines are now smoothed using a “B-Spline” and go
            through the given points, interpolating between them.

Hi Steve,

Steve Edmonds schrieb:

Hi all,

with implementation of the new, ODF1.2 way of B-splines
[http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5#Calc]
some changes in the UI and help are needed. I have collected them in
http://www.rhenschel.homepage.t-online.de/files_to_be_changed.txt

It would be nice, if you have a look and correct them to good English.

If you know other places which need a change, please tell me.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi. How did you want edits conveyed to you. Short one below, did you
want the other in the list
steve

You can do it as you like, for example add the corrected text to files_to_be_changed.txt and sent it to my private E-mail address or write here to the list and cite the wrong line and add the corrected line, so that others can read your proposal.

   * The method by which line charts are smoothed has been adapted to
     the ODF1.2 standard. (Regina Henschel)
         o Closed lines are now smoothed using a “Cubic Spline” and are
           completely rounded.
         o Open Lines are now smoothed using a “B-Spline” and go
           through the given points, interpolating between them.

Oh, I was not exact enough. "Cubic Spline" and "B-Spline" are different things, but both used for open and for closed lines. "Cubic Splines" need no changes in UI and help. I have only corrected a bug in the case of closed lines, so that the roundness is correct now. But "B-Splines" changes it appearance, in open case and closed case as well.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi :slight_smile:

I think the 2nd 58 from ...
     58 <paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id879848" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">These are mathematical models that influence the display of the
curves. The curves are put together of polynomial segments.</paragraph>
     58 <paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id879848" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">These are mathematical models that influence the display of the
curves. The curves are created by adding segments of polynomials.</paragraph>

I'm not certain about this one. If it's going to appear in a dialogue box
alongside a default value that can be changed then my wording is not quite
right.
     64 <paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id6998809" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">For B-spline lines optionally set the degree of
polynomials.</paragraph>
     64 <paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id6998809" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">For B-spline lines the degree of the polynomials can be
set.</paragraph>

I think the comment can be dropped unless it is meant to be a heading for the
section. The comment just repeats the wording in the coding so i really don't
think it is needed. Segment is probably the best word for a part of a curve.

In 97 i thought the important part of the comment was that the curve might not
pass through all the individual data-points as long as certain conditions are
met. I didn't quite grasp what those conditions are.

Hopefully someone is going to have better ideas than mine tho :slight_smile:

Old Text
The methods, how line charts are smoothed, have been adapted to the ODF1.2 standard. (Regina Henschel)

New Text
* The methods by which line charts are smoothed has been adapted to
      the ODF1.2 standard. (Regina Henschel)

Old Text
Closed lines, which are smoothed using “Cubic Spline”, are complete rounded.

New Text
Closed lines which are smoothed using a “Cubic Spline” are now completely rounded.

Old Text
Lines, which are smoothed using “B-Spline”, go through the given points and interpolate them.

New Text
Open and closed lines which are smoothed using a “B-Spline” now go through the given points, interpolating between them.

Is this more correct understanding and language.

steve

[...]

Hi. I took it that in 97 the curve now (will) must pass through the points under the changes. In some other software with splines you have a parameter for "tightness" (or looseness) that determines if the spline will pass through the points or if not how tight or loose the curve is fitted to the points. My guess is that under ODF 1.2 it has been determined that for observed data points the curve fitted to the points must pass through the points, and I think this may be technically correct.
I then looked at the regression available to make sure this was not in relation to fitting a b-spline as a trend curve. It is not, trend curves are limited to simple curves although the help does hint at how to develop more complex trend curves.
steve

________________________________
[...]

I think you can register at the wiki fairly easily, top right-hand corner. I
could copy&paste your revisions directly into

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5#Calc
but then i would get the credit in the history instead of you. I think either
Steve or Regina deserve the credit there.

Hi Tom,

Tom Davies schrieb:
[..]

New Text
* The methods by which line charts are smoothed has been adapted to
      the ODF1.2 standard. (Regina Henschel)

The method_s_ ... ha_s_ been adapted?

Is it correct with "methods" in plural and "has" in singular?

Regina

Hi Tom,

Tom Davies schrieb:
[..]

I'm not certain about this one. If it's going to appear in a dialogue box
alongside a default value that can be changed then my wording is not quite
right.
      64<paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id6998809" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">For B-spline lines optionally set the degree of
polynomials.</paragraph>
      64<paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id6998809" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">For B-spline lines the degree of the polynomials can be
set.</paragraph>

When you click on "Properties" in the chart type dialog, you get the window "Smooth Lines". When you click on "help" there, you get a page with this text.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi :
Ok, that sounds about right then unless someone, such as Stephen, has a better
idea. When i looked the line seemed a bit different

3. For B-spline lines optionally set the data points order.

but i guess you have edited that to make more sense.

Ooops! Nope. Either both plural or both singular. I think you could replace
"adapted" with "upgraded" if you wanted but either is good.
The methods by which line charts are smoothed have been adapted to the ODF1.2
standard.
Hmmm, could we change it to something like
"Line chart's smoothing has been upgraded to the ODF1.2 standard."
Sorry :frowning:

Hi Tom, hi Steve,

I have brought your suggestions to the wiki.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5#Calc

kind regards
Regina

Tom Davies schrieb:

Hi :slight_smile:
Wow, it looks ok there :slight_smile: I worry that i might suddenly notice horribly
embarrassing errors but it looks nice :slight_smile:
Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi.
This seems clear and explicit.
steve

Hi Steve,

Steve Edmonds schrieb:

Hi :slight_smile:

I think the 2nd 58 from ...
58<paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id879848" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">These are mathematical models that influence the display of
the
curves. The curves are put together of polynomial segments.</paragraph>
58<paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_id879848" xml-lang="en-US"
l10n="NEW">These are mathematical models that influence the display of
the
curves. The curves are created by adding segments of
polynomials.</paragraph>

"adding" is a valid operation for polynomials and means calculating '+'. "Composing" has a special meaning too. Therefore it might be misunderstood. What about this:

The curves are created by joining together segments of polynomials.

I think the comment can be dropped unless it is meant to be a heading
for the
section. The comment just repeats the wording in the coding so i
really don't
think it is needed. Segment is probably the best word for a part of a
curve.

In the meantime I found, that the number in the comment is the ID of the metric field in the dialog. So the comment will help translators to identify the place in the dialog. Therefore I will preserve these comments.

In 97 i thought the important part of the comment was that the curve
might not
pass through all the individual data-points as long as certain
conditions are
met. I didn't quite grasp what those conditions are.

You are right, that comment is no longer needed, because the curve has now a specification in ODF1.2.

Hi. I took it that in 97 the curve now (will) must pass through the
points under the changes. In some other software with splines you have a
parameter for "tightness" (or looseness) that determines if the spline
will pass through the points or if not how tight or loose the curve is
fitted to the points. My guess is that under ODF 1.2 it has been
determined that for observed data points the curve fitted to the points
must pass through the points, and I think this may be technically correct.

There had been no rule prior to ODF1.2, but the behavior now follows the specification in ODF1.2

I then looked at the regression available to make sure this was not in
relation to fitting a b-spline as a trend curve. It is not, trend curves
are limited to simple curves although the help does hint at how to
develop more complex trend curves.
steve

Hopefully someone is going to have better ideas than mine tho :slight_smile:

Yes, regression curves are approximating and (besides corner cases) not interpolating.

Still in question the text shown in the dialog (file tp_ChartType.src, line 248). Which one?
"~Degree of Polynomial"
"~Degree of Polynomials"
"~Degree of polynomial"
"~Degree of polynomials"

Kind regards
Regina

Hi :slight_smile:

That sentence had bothered me a bit too. I like "The curves are created by
joining together segments of polynomials." but how about using the word
combining? "The curves are created by combining segments of polynomials."?

I don't know how to look-up 'the ID of the metric field in the dialog' but i
have a feeling that it could be one of 2 different ways?
"~ The degree of the polynomial"
"~ The degree of the polynomials"
I think it's referring to the segments of polynomials that are joined together?
However i think the entire curve could be referred to as a single polynomial?
Either way around i don't think the words need to be capitalised unless it's a
title.

Hi Tom, Regina.

Hi :slight_smile:

That sentence had bothered me a bit too. I like "The curves are created by
joining together segments of polynomials." but how about using the word
combining? "The curves are created by combining segments of polynomials."?

I don't know how to look-up 'the ID of the metric field in the dialog' but i
have a feeling that it could be one of 2 different ways?
"~ The degree of the polynomial"
"~ The degree of the polynomials"
I think it's referring to the segments of polynomials that are joined together?
However i think the entire curve could be referred to as a single polynomial?
Either way around i don't think the words need to be capitalised unless it's a
title.

I pretty much agree with Tom above. The plural in "~ The degree of the polynomial(s)" does not really change the understanding although technically as the curve is a combination of a number of polynomials and the statement refers to the degree of all of them it it should probably be

"~ The degree of the polynomials"

steve

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks Steve. It reminds me of the Star Trek episode where "The Great Link" is
explained to Odo. I was hesitant about using the plural because the individual
polynomials can't have different degrees. It would be a nightmare to allow them
to be set differently from each other! I imagine it might allow a slightly
greater level of finesse but that would be marginal compared with the amount of
work it would take to implement (at a guess). However, it does make more sense
to use the plural because that fits the context, and it's more accurate.