[libreoffice-marketing] do you know where is the documentation is . . . for marketing it to schools

Hi :slight_smile:
Does anyone happen to know an answer for Webmaster at KrackedPress? I don't
think he is on this list but he might be. I thought that it would just happen
automatically?

I think this info, with screenshots, is in Chapter 3, Working with Text, in the Writer Guide, but I could be misremembering the chapter. It definitely is in the Writer Guide somewhere, because I remember writing it!

Tom, I believe he is asking about the way to mark certain passages as one language or another, which is not automatic. Once the passages are marked, the spelling checker knows which language to use and does so automatically.

In LibO 3.3, highlight the text you want to format, then go to Format

Character > Font then open the Language dropdown list and choose the

desired language.

HTH.

Although that works, that's a different way of doing it than the
original questioner was talking about.

Some help here. I cannot find the icon style Galaxy (default). There are only 2 available: Automatic (human) and Human. Did I do something wrong with the installation of Libreoffice? My current version is 3.3.2

Thanks.

If you are using the version of LibO that comes with Ubuntu, it's possible the full range of choices may not be available. We recommend that people use the version of LibO downloaded from the LibO website, because there are some other differences also. If you are using that version, then the hint someone else gave for where to find the icon style choices should do the job.

Thanks for helping!

Jean

Hi Jaimon :slight_smile:
I have to disagree with Jean here. In Ubuntu it is almost always better to
stick with stuff from the repos or ppas. Since Ubuntu uses the gnome DE i think
that you might just need to add a couple of packages.

On the top taskbar click on
System - Administration - "Synaptic Package Manager"
Either search tool 'should' be able to help you find and install
libreoffice-gnome
libreoffice-style-galaxy

Hopefully selecting the first one 'should' automatically select the 2nd one too.
Good luck and regards from

Hi Jaimon :slight_smile:
I have to disagree with Jean here.  In Ubuntu it is almost always better to
stick with stuff from the repos or ppas.  Since Ubuntu uses the gnome DE i think
that you might just need to add a couple of packages.

It is true that, as a general rule, most people would say the
advantage of using the Ubuntu repo is that your system will be
maintained up to date automatically as and when Ubuntu releases new
updates...

Hi :slight_smile:
"Almost always" and "general rule" are typical in linux. There are usually many
ways of achieving the same end-result and often a more complicated way might
produce better results but might also be harder to maintain. Again with the
"might"s, "usually"s and "often"s. There is only one right way for any one
person in linux, and that is your/their own way. Except in my case it's usually
my neighbours way until i try it and then i realise my first way was better for
me.

I hope that helps clarify things :wink:

Tom, my point was that for *producing documentation* (or at least taking screenshots) it is better to use the version supplied by LibO, so the docs represent the standard version of the software. For general use, I agree with you.

Jean

Also, we are often working on documentation for a version of LibO that is still in development, using the developers' builds or betas, or that has recently been released and is not yet in the repos.

Also, we are often working on documentation for a version of LibO that is still in development, using the developers' builds or betas, or that has recently been released and is not yet in the repos.

At the moment, I guess we would be happy if we manage to produce all
necessary documentation for the current version... :wink:

The Window Manager that is used, does affect the way the program
"looks". Whilst the differences are usually minor, they can confuse
people that use the documentation.

(One such example: Xcfe has four icons in the top right hand corner of
the screen window. MS Windows has three icons there. Until I included
a section in the documentation I write, explaining that difference, I
received at least one email a week asking how to get that fourth icon to
display, and function on their Windows system.)

The theme used can also affect the way the program "looks". I'm
guessing that users can usually "see" how it would look on their system.
(Guessing, because I never received any emails from users asking about
effects that were purely a result of the theme that was used.)

jonathon
- --
If Bing copied Google, there wouldn't be anything new worth requesting.

If Bing did not copy Google, there wouldn't be anything relevant worth
requesting.

                              DaveJakeman 20110207 Groklaw.