Away for two weeks

In less than 48 hours I'll be heading off on a trip for two weeks,
mostly without internet access and definitely without computer.

Would be nice to find all the chapters of the Impress reviewed by the
time I get back. Also would be really great to have the Calc Guide
compilation checked by at least two people and published. And while I'm
wishing, it would be good to find at least two new posts on the
Documentation blog.

Cheers, Jean

Hi Jean,

In less than 48 hours I'll be heading off on a trip for two weeks,
mostly without internet access and definitely without computer.

Sounds great. Enjoy your trip and come back safe and sound!

///shawn

Hi :slight_smile:
Yes, good luck with the well-earned break :slight_smile:

The statement "mostly without internet access and definitely without computer"
worries me a little. Recently i have noticed quite a few non-techies saying
things like "email blah at blah@blah.blah using a computer with internet
access". I'm not completely sure about how to email without using a computer.
Internet access would seem to be a fairly crucial part of that. I heard that
some people in Mexico used to use ham-radio to send email and there was also an
experiment using homing pidgeons to carry the type of packets normally sent by
internet (in order to test how reliably a system with high drop-out rate would
restructure the messages given a set level of redundancy in the packets).

One person suggested they might be referring to smart phones and stuff but to me
they definitely count as computers. Mind you my fridge seems to have a computer
now and i couldn't email from it easily.

Excessively pedantic thinking, Tom. :wink:

On these trips, my "internet access device" is an iPhone or iPad, using
the 3G telephone network, which is often not available where I go. Wifi
is usually even less available.

While technically an iPhone or iPad is a "computer", I don't carry my
working files on either of them, nor do I have programs installed for
working on those files.

Lastly, my partner and I deliberately don't use the term "computer" for
iPhones or iPads, because we've found that a lot of people in our age
group don't want anything to do with computers (due to negative
experiences in the past) but, given the right encouragement (by seeing
how easy it is to do something that interests them), they will take
readily to an iPhone or iPad. And they don't know, or need to know, that
when using the telephone network, they are actually connecting to the
internet for some purposes.

Thanks :slight_smile: I had considered signing off as "Tom the pedant". I was hoping
someone might give links to the photos of the avian carrier experiment.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi

My friend, Sufyan and I, Song Chuan are from Singapore, Nanyang Technological University.We are doing a project on open-source for 3 weeks. We are new users to Libreoffice but we really would like to contribute on documentation of Libreoffice. Can you suggest an area in which we can contribute.

I have send multiple email but no avail. :( Please reply asap once you see this email. Thanks.

Best Regards
Song Chuan

Hi all,

I see your mail in documentation@libreoffice.org via gmane.

~*Low Song Chuan*~ schrieb:

Hi

My friend, Sufyan and I, Song Chuan are from Singapore, Nanyang
Technological University.We are doing a project on open-source for 3
weeks. We are new users to Libreoffice but we really would like to
contribute on documentation of Libreoffice. Can you suggest an area
in which we can contribute.

I have send multiple email but no avail. :frowning: Please reply asap once
you see this email. Thanks.

Perhaps you like to write a HowTo? What is the area of your interest? Which subject are you studying? There are so many topics in LibreOffice.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi Song Chuan, :slight_smile:

Hi

My friend, Sufyan and I, Song Chuan are from Singapore, Nanyang Technological University.We are doing a project on open-source for 3 weeks. We are new users to Libreoffice but we really would like to contribute on documentation of Libreoffice. Can you suggest an area in which we can contribute.

I have send multiple email but no avail. :frowning: Please reply asap once you see this email. Thanks.

Best Regards
Song Chuan

Probably the best thing would be to contact the localization mailing
list (http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/localizers/) and maybe
get involved in localizing LibreOffice and LibreOffice documentation
for your mother tongue.

However, another path would be to get involved in the English
documentation work.

It mainly depends on where you feel like jumping in.

If you want to get involved in English documentation work, please do
post back here and we will set you up to get started.

David Nelson

Hi :slight_smile:
Song Chuan
Many people prefer posting replies at the bottom of threads so you might have
missed their replies unless you scrolled down.

David, or anybody
Do we have good links for guides on how to get started with documentation in
English (well, american). I have totally lost track as usual. Song Chuan had
already emailed me off-list which is probably how he signed-up for this
mailing-list. I had already given language lists.

Sorry i have been slow to respond

Tom,
On this page http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
is a section titled "Joining the Documentation Team" that points to this
page, http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development
which has a section titled "First steps with the Documentation Team"
that has links to the four draft chapters of the Documentation
Contributors' Guide. The working copies of those chapters are on
Alfresco, but I thought it was important for people to be able to get
them without having an Alfresco account or even needing to know about
our Alfresco site.

Most of that was put there yesterday by me when I was doing a bit of
reorganisation in the hope of making things easier to find. More work
needs to be done, of course... on both the wiki pages and the
Contributors' Guide. I believe David is working on the first chapter of
the guide, Joining the LibO Docs Team; at least, he has that one checked
out of Alfresco.

--Jean

Blimey, that's really tidy now. I thought there were about 4 links but
collected together and explained well makes it easier to see what needs doing.

Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

I see a lot of replies. I think I miss out the replies which is at the bottom of the email. I would like to contribute to the English Documentation work. Hope hear from you all soon. =)

Song Chuan

Hi Song Chuan and Sufyan :slight_smile:

Hi David
I would like to contribute to English Documentation work. Do I need the
Alfreco account? What are the things I can contribute?
Regards
Song Chuan

I have sent you guys credentials for our Alfresco platform at
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org / http:documentation.libreoffice.org

Alfresco is the platform that the LibreOffice English Docs team is
currently using for managing our work, before we post end-user-content
on the LibreOffice wiki.

If you browse to "Company Home > (en) English [English] Content >
Resources", you will see some material that will help you get started
working as part of the team.

Please also browse to "Company Home > (en) English [English] Content >
Documentation". You will see the material we are presently working on.
Can you take a look around and see what you feel inspired to work on?

Feel free to mail me directly with any problems anytime, but I
recommend you to write to the documentation team mailing list as a
general rule, because you can get good advice and guidance from the
other docs team members as well as myself. :slight_smile:

David Nelson

Hi Tom, :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks :slight_smile: I had considered signing off as "Tom the pedant". I was hoping
someone might give links to the photos of the avian carrier experiment.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

I am always happy to see how your Brit sense of humor and thick skin
carries you through some of the bastings you occasionally get in the
various lists. Personally, I enjoy your friendly posts and hope to be
reading you for long to come. It's nice to read your relaxed and
chatty posts. :wink:

Myself, I've always found carrier pigeons to be much more good-natured
and friendly than some of the stuff that arrives by e-mail from the
lists. I am intrigued by the "avian carrier experiment".

David Nelson

Thank you Tom!

I haven't receive my login credentials for Alfresco.

Song Chuan

Hi :slight_smile: err, see bottom (!)

Hi David,

Sufyan and I are new users. Can we contribute to Writer?

Regards
Song Chuan

Hi :slight_smile:
I think all the work has been done for Writer for this release of the
documentation so Writer would be quite a relaxed one to work with but helping
with one of the apps that has not yet been completed would mean you see a direct
result faster.