Impress Guide Reviwing`

Good Morning Everyone,

I noticed that the Impress Guide has a lot of drafts and no reviews. Being
new, I thought that this might be a good place to get started but I wanted
to make sure that I'm not going to be infringing on work that anyone else is
doing with that guide. If anyone has any comments, concerns, objections,
suggestions, etc. please let me know! Also, I'm interested in how long
reviewing is generally expected to take, just so I have some reference, so
if anyone wouldn't mind giving me just a rough estimate, it would be very
much appreciated!

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited to be working on this with you all!

Chad

Chad, it's great to have you on the team. When someone is working on a
chapter, they are supposed to check it out so it shows a "working copy"
in the Drafts folder. Any chapter not checked out is available for
someone to review.

Most chapters of the Impress Guide need in-depth reviewing for accuracy
and usability. The main question at this point is: do the instructions
(originally written for OOo Impress) work with LibreOffice Impress? Are
there any features in LibO but not in OOo that are relevant to this
chapter and need to be written about (bearing in mind that we don't try
to cover everything). And even when things are complete and correct, the
screenshots may be out of date.

How long is reviewing expected to take? That depends a lot on the
chapter and how much work is involved in following the instructions to
see if they work. My guess is a first pass through a typical chapter can
take anywhere from 1 to 8 hours, perhaps more if a lot of recapturing
and/or relabelling of screenshots is involved. BTW, if you are unable to
redo pictures, that's okay; just flag the ones that need work and
someone else will do them. Obviously, if you've only got an hour or two
a day to work on this, then it could take a week to finish a chapter.

If life intervenes and it looks like you won't be able to finish within
a week, please upload what you've done, even if you keep the file
checked out, and let us know that you've been delayed. Or check it back
in and say you're unable to finish it within a reasonable time. This
happens to all of us.

I assume you've read the document on producing LibO user guides (found
in Resources), which describes what to do or not do when reviewing,
creating and inserting graphics, and so on.

--Jean

Thanks for the clarification, Jean. I have read the document on producing
user guides, and intend to reference it constantly through my first few
reviews.

Just FYI, I'm reviewing the first Chapter of the Impress Guide
(0501IG3-IntroducingImpress.odt). I'm not able to check it out because of
permissions issues in Alfresco, but I've already contacted Dave about it,
and I'm sure it will be cleared up pretty quick. But since I'm not able to
check it out at this time, I thought I'd give everyone a heads up. :slight_smile:

Well, I'm sorry to be dense - but I'm going to excuse myself on the basis
that I'm an Alfresco noob - but I am hoping that I can get a quick
explanation on how to upload and check-in a document that I've finished
reviewing?

I have searched through the documents suggested in Resources, and also the
Alfresco "Help" dialogues, but haven't really found what I'm looking for. Is
it as simple as (1) Check-in the document via "Run Action", and then (2)
Upload the reviewed odt into the workspace? (Although it seems that this
would simply create a duplicate?)

Thanks kindly,
Chad

cu

It should be in the "Using Alfresco" file in Resources. But in case it
isn't...

Go to the working copy of the document on Alfresco and click on the
little icon at the left under that file, the one with a left-pointing
arrow. (If you hover the mouse cursor over this icon, you should see
"Check In".)

That will take you to a page where you can select "use a file from my
computer" (or similar wording) and browse for the file to check in.
After it uploads and the name appears on that page, click the "Check In"
button on the right. That will cause the "working copy" to disappear and
the main copy to be replaced by the one you just uploaded.

--Jean

My explanation assumed that you were on the English > Documentation >
Impress Guide > Drafts page of Alfresco, a page that shows a collection
of files in the "Content Items" area on the right-hand side.

--Jean