LibreOffice massive deployment at Windows environment

Hi everyone!

I need your help, dear community!

I'm planning massive deployment of LibreOffice. It means thousands of computers at Estonian public sector.

I'm planning to do it with 3.4.1 version as it will be available. It seems reasonable idea due to fact, that it is coming quite soon.

I hope to start in the first days of July 2011 - depends on version 3.4.1 release.

Could you, please, have information about silent installing of LibreOffice?

I've found the following link:
http://lodahl.blogspot.com/2011/02/silent-installation-of-libreoffice-on.html

There is important, that users will get program with Estonian language interface. How to be ensure, that any user will get it?

Is there any Document Foundation wiki article, I mean official source of such information?

I heard also of using some Active Directory service for massive deployment but could not find yet any instruction for that. I don't use Windows Server and therefore don't have experience with that.

Is it possible to use original .exe files downloaded from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ ? I mean I download these .exe files, put them into my internal network or local website in Estonia and deploy from there.

When new version comes out, there is also necessary deploy new version - will LibreOffice install old version over or is there necessary to uninstall old version at first? If yes, are there silent uninstall parameters?

Hello Edmund,
I don't think there is any official material on administrative installation
from the foundation. If you find anything, I would be happy to hear about
it.

When you create a mst-file for the installation that file is controlling
witch language is installed. You can set all other languages that Estonian
to 0.

You can download the official exe-files and unpack them to you server. Half
way through the installation process you should abort the installation (you
only need to unpack - not to install). From there you can create the new
mst-file. I quess you can use any software to run the actual installation. I
have tried with Zenworks as well as simple batch/kix files.

Regarding upgrading, I think (but I don't know 100%) that you need to
uninstall the current version and then install the new version afterward.
Perhaps there is some parameter to overrule this. I don't know.

Best regards,
Leif Lodahl

Hi,

You can download the official exe-files and unpack them to you server. Half
way through the installation process you should abort the installation (you
only need to unpack - not to install).

Alternatively you can use NSIS switches:
LibO_3.3.2_Win_x86_install_multi.exe /EXTRACTONLY=ON /S
/D=c:\Path\to\Extracted\Installer\Files

Regarding upgrading, I think (but I don't know 100%) that you need to
uninstall the current version and then install the new version afterward.
Perhaps there is some parameter to overrule this. I don't know.

Currently new releases uninstall previous releases. .x version will
always uninstall previous version, e.g. 3.4.1 will uninstall 3.4.0.
Anyway, it is safer to uninstall manually first, and remove the folder
from Program Files. There are generated files that are not cleaned up
by uninstall.

Cheers,
Andras

Thanks Andras,
My experience (some releases ago) was that the silent installation will stop
if there is an earlier version installed already. But I will try tonight
when I get home.

Cheers,
Leif Lodahl

Hi :slight_smile:

I remember this issue cropping up several months ago, i think around January. I
saved the emails about it but can't find them. I usually encourage people to
join the documentation team if they have something worth saying but i can't
remember what the result was.

I'm planning massive deployment of LibreOffice. It means thousands of computers
at Estonian public sector.

I'm planning to do it with 3.4.1 version as it will be available. It seems
reasonable idea due to fact, that it is coming quite soon.

I hope to start in the first days of July 2011 - depends on version 3.4.1
release.

Could you, please, have information about silent installing of LibreOffice?

I've found the following link:
http://lodahl.blogspot.com/2011/02/silent-installation-of-libreoffice-on.html

There is important, that users will get program with Estonian language
interface. How to be ensure, that any user will get it?

Is there any Document Foundation wiki article, I mean official source of such
information?

The Admin documentation hasn't been ported over from OOo to
LibreOffice, but the process shound be much the same as is documented
here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide/Windows
I validated the instructions on OOo about 2 releases ago, and I don't
think a lot has changed since then. That said, the steps given do
need to be tested before you do any mass deployment.

Certainly, massive deployment is important also at Linux and Mac OS environments
but these are much more smaller environments and can be handled separately. I
have already some experience about uninstalling OpenOffice.org and installing
LibreOffice.org over SSH and over network in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

The same section in the Admin guide covers OSX and Linux.

C.

Hi all,
My blogpost on lodahl.blogspot.com was the outcome of the discussion on mail
earlier.

The Admin documentation hasn't been ported over from OOo to
LibreOffice, but the process shound be much the same as is documented
here:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide/Windows
I validated the instructions on OOo about 2 releases ago, and I don't
think a lot has changed since then. That said, the steps given do
need to be tested before you do any mass deployment.

The difference is that a silent installation of LibreOffice will install

all languages.

Cheers,
Leif Lodahl

Hi all,
My blogpost on lodahl.blogspot.com was the outcome of the discussion on
mail
earlier.

Made a link to your post in out How To section - if you could make a page of
this HowTo you would be credited points for the work in the LibreOffice
Comunity.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/HowTo

To make a page yourself (seems a simple copy - paste will settle most of the
content) just type
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/HowTo/Silent_Install_Windowsand
make it !!

> The Admin documentation hasn't been ported over from OOo to
> LibreOffice, but the process shound be much the same as is documented
> here:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide/Windows
> I validated the instructions on OOo about 2 releases ago, and I don't
> think a lot has changed since then. That said, the steps given do
> need to be tested before you do any mass deployment.

Put a link on our Documentation page to this Administration Guide.

> The difference is that a silent installation of LibreOffice will install
all languages.

Maybe another How To / modifying the one that I put there?

Rogerio

Hi
I'm having problems uploading a rebranded guide which Jean said
you did as part of the check in process? I just can't see where/how to import the document?
cheers
Tempe

Hi Tempe, :slight_smile:

Hi
I'm having problems uploading a rebranded guide which Jean said
you did as part of the check in process? I just can't see where/how to import the document?
cheers
Tempe

I'm a bit stuck for time to give you detailed instructions here, but
don't feel shy to send me the doc if you're really stuck and I will
check it in for you.

David Nelson

Ok thanks David
Tempe

I sent instructions recently to this list for someone else who had asked. You can probably find them in the list archives. Is this info not in the document on Using Alfresco in the Resources space?

It's not importing, it's checking in. Did you check out the doc before working on it? The working copy will have a Checkin icon. After you click that, it will lead you through the steps for uploading and checking in.

Jean

Thanks Jean
I'll go through it again.
Tempe