Need volunteer to compile Calc Guide

We need a volunteer to compile a full book from the Calc Guide chapters.
If you wait for me to get to it, it might not appear for quite awhile

The instructions are somewhere in "Producing LibreOffice User Guides" in
English > Resources on Alfresco.

The master document and all the chapters are in English > Documentation

Calc Guide > Reviewed.

Anyone willing to give this a try? I'm available to answer questions.
What we've done quite successfully at OOo is for someone to put the book
together and then make a PDF "Release Candidate" of that book for others
to check for things like incorrect cross-references (a legacy of some
gremlin in the OOo chapters from which these are derived). So you won't
be alone!

--Jean

Hi

I am willing to do this. Are there any instructions other than in the email.

Regards

John

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

You mean, other than in "Producing LibreOffice User Guides" in English

Resources on Alfresco? No, I think that's it; I don't think I've got

anything more detailed. BTW, some of the early parts of "Producing..."
are important, especially the info about adjusting LibO memory
settings.

--Jean

Thank you!! for taking this on.

--Jean

Hi Jean

Can I have a login for Alfresco. I will download the guides.

Thanks

John

Ahh, so you have to write to us tomorrow for us to get it yesterday? :wink:

Hi Jean

The review directory seems empty apart from the graphics in Calc chapter, so I used the published chapters. If this is correct.

I have followed the guide and updated the odm file and produced a PDF file.

Should I upload the files into the review section.

Thanks

John

John,

Yesterday I moved all the Calc Guide chapters into Published, except for
Graphics (which is checked out), so you've got the right ones. Sorry
about the timing; wasn't thinking.

Yes, please upload the updated ODM, and the ODT and PDF files for the
book, into the Reviewed section. Thanks!

--Jean

Hi Jean

Files uploaded to reviewed section.

What is the next priority.

Regards

John

Thanks, John! However, I see only the PDF there, not the ODT. You did
make an ODT as well, didn't you?

Did you discover any problems with the cross-references after the book
was compiled? We have serious problems with incorrect x-refs in some
books but not in others.

Next priority is reviewing the Impress Guide. We need as many people
working on that as possible.

--Jean

John,
I've spotted some problems in the PDF of the Calc Guide. The copyright
page has not been updated to include all the Contributors' names, and
the individual chapters are showing their copyright pages and table of
contents pages, which are supposed to be suppressed.

It's possible the fields that do the suppressing have been lost during
the rebranding process, but the guide name on the first pages of the
chapters is being suppressed, so there may be a different cause to the
other problem. Sometimes, for no reason I can determine, the copyright
and TOC pages don't get suppressed, so I have to manually remove them
once I've made an ODT of the full book.

A random check of some pages shows incorrect x-refs as well -- the bane
of our lives with these books.

--Jean

Earlier, I wrote:

...The copyright page has not been updated to include all the Contributors' names...

I now realise I'm wrong about that; sorry.

The other problems I mentioned definitely need fixing.

--Jean

Hi

I uploaded 3 files odt odm and pdf but could not see any of them. I assumed it was a moderation feature. Will try again tonight

Regards

John

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

The PDF is there; at least, I can see it. I don't know why the others
aren't showing up. I don't know much about how Alfresco works.

--Jean

Hi Jean

Ok will try again tonight.

Will look at the manually remove the contents and copyright pages manually and look at how to add the fields back in the odm if they are missing.

Are there instructions on how to do this in the writer guide?

I looked at the links the previous time I compiled this and they seemed to work. Will try again, if this does not work will edit the links manually in the odt file.

Regards

John

There are instructions in the Writer Guide about the field and the
hidden sections, but you also need to know the contents of the field and
the condition statement. This is written up somewhere, but offhand I
can't remember where. In the book template, perhaps. Anyway, I'll add it
here:

The copyright and TOC pages are in sections controlled by a condition
statement MD!=0 that picks up from the first paragraph in the ODM an
invisible field named MD which is set to 1. This causes the section to
be hidden. Sometimes it fails, for no reason I can see.

First thing to check: go into Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer >
Formatting Aids and make sure "Hidden text", "Fields: Hidden text" and
"Fields: Hidden paragraphs" are all UNticked. I can't recall if there
are any other options like that lurking somewhere.

BTW, I just opened the orginal ODM and updated all links, and the
copyright and TOC pages are hidden as they should be.

The incorrect x-refs are scattered through the book; most x-refs are
correct, but some are not. It's a thorough pain to find and fix the
incorrect ones. I normally do this in the full-book ODT after unlinking
(embedding) all the chapter files, because I've found that fixing them
in the individual chapter files and then recompiling the book often
doesn't work -- some of the wretched x-refs go wrong again. I think a
bug may have been filed at OOo about this, but it's hard to reproduce
reliably, especially in a smallish sample file.

--Jean