Assistance with libreoffice.org/get-help/installation?

Hello;

I am volunteering via the US marketing group and a question came up recently regarding http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation. Does the documentation group intend to add other distributions to this list (e.g. *BSD)?

If the group does, I volunteer to help. Is there an individual or sub-group I can speak with about this, off-list?

thanks in advance,
-Craig

I think (may be wrong) that those pages come under the website team, not
the documentation team, although we at Docs have contributed to it and
suggested improvements to the install instructions. The last I heard
(some months ago), David Nelson <commerce@traduction.biz> seemed to be
the person most involved in those pages. If he's not the contact for
them now, he should know who is.

--Jean

Thank you Jean. Missive sent!

Best,
-Craig

Hi Craig, :slight_smile:

[...]

I replied to your off-list mail. As I said, I wrote the original
draft, but it became rather a complex set of instructions when we
tried to add other distribs. It really needs a thorough updating and
revamp. If you'd like to take part in working on it, I can add you to
the publishers group on the LibreOffice.org website...

David Nelson

There still is my Installation instructions for Linux in Alfresco ... ?

It was finished, but no one ever gave me feedback ...

Rogerio

Hi Rogerio, :slight_smile:

There still is my Installation instructions for Linux in Alfresco ... ?

It was finished, but no one ever gave me feedback ...

Yes, it can be found under Company Home > (en) English [English]
Content > Documentation > Install Guides > Drafts

I guess there was no feedback because it didn't get to a definitively
finished state (proofreading, augmentation, etc.), and the context
evolved (more distribs to take account of, etc.)... So it's still
somewhat of a work in progress...

Indeed, I ran into a couple of alternative sets of instructions around
the Web that were geared towards a particular Linux distrib, that made

Ok, now that was a nice feedback, I am correct in thinking that we will
abandon this project and start a new one?

R.

Hi, :slight_smile:

Ok, now that was a nice feedback, I am correct in thinking that we will
abandon this project and start a new one?

Well, maybe not "abandon", but how about re-write and simplify? Maybe
a separate instruction set for each major Linux/Unix distrib? Anybody
got any bright ideas?

David Nelson

The thing is that there are literally HUNDREDS of Distros that consider
themselves "major" Linux Distros.

We should try one of two approaches:

1) Do the .deb and .rpm pages and maybe a openSUSE specific page and leave
all the rest to their own distro-specific support , and maybe ask for a nice
packaged source installer to cover anything else from the the devs.

2) Expect that anyone can install from their repos, and let the developers
that need to install from packages/source to their own luck (after all they
*are* developers)

Either way I think (and that is why I stopped working on the file and on the
installation wiki page) that this is work with no future. All major distros
have LibO in their repos, and people trying to test the RC releases have
managed to install them in their systems with-without-despite our futile
efforts to make available install instructions.

Rogerio

________________________________
> Ok, now that was a nice feedback, I am correct in thinking that we will
> abandon this project and start a new one?

Well, maybe not "abandon", but how about re-write and simplify? Maybe
a separate instruction set for each major Linux/Unix distrib? Anybody
got any bright ideas?

The thing is that there are literally HUNDREDS of Distros that consider
themselves "major" Linux Distros.

We should try one of two approaches:

1) Do the .deb and .rpm pages and maybe a openSUSE specific page and leave
all the rest to their own distro-specific support , and maybe ask for a nice
packaged source installer to cover anything else from the the devs.

2) Expect that anyone can install from their repos, and let the developers
that need to install from packages/source to their own luck (after all they
*are* developers)

Either way I think (and that is why I stopped working on the file and on the
installation wiki page) that this is work with no future. All major distros
have LibO in their repos, and people trying to test the RC releases have
managed to install them in their systems with-without-despite our futile
efforts to make available install instructions.

Rogerio

Hi :slight_smile:

+1

Installing from the repos is easy and it's covered by each distro's own
documentation separately. We could cover all the distros simply by saying
"LibreOffice can be installed using the distro's package manager."

For more advanced installs just covering Yum, Rpm, Deb & tarballs covers almost
all distros. Although there are about 600 distros they all tend to use the same
packages, the same package-managers and the same methods.

As for compiling from Source Code i have a feeling that is the same in every
distro and the same in BSD too?

Hi David;

Congratulations on the move and, yes, I'd be happy to take part in working on a revamp of the install instructions. If I'll be doing this via Alfresco, I'll need an account. Can you help w/that?

thanks,
-Craig

I've set up your account and sent login instructions to you privately.

Welcome aboard!

--Jean