getting involved

Hello everyone - I've just subscribed to this group, and would be happy to help with writing in any way I can. I'm a professional freelance copywriter (and have been for nearly 20 years now). I'm not a technical writer as such though I've written a lot on technical subjects, including "help" and user guide materials both online and in print. But I could also help with any activity to promote LibreOffice.

My website will tell you more, though it's out of date and about to be relaunched in a refreshed version. As my contact details imply I'm based in the UK and am a native English speaker, though I have some French too.

I've used MS Office through most of my working life, but an increasing frustration with the licensing/activation practices of commercial software houses made me look harder at OpenOffice (and from there to LO), and about a year ago I finally put in the time to make it work the way I want it to. I've been really pleased and it would be great to be able to give something back.

Best wishes
Paul

Hi Paul, :slight_smile:

Welcome to the team and thanks for getting involved.

I created a user account for you on the LibreOffice project's Alfresco
platform and mailed you the details.

Jean Weber can certainly give you good guidance about where you could
jump in work-wise.

If you have any questions or problems concerning Alfresco, please do
feel free to ask people here on the list and/or mail me off-list.

David Nelson

Good Morning Everyone!

I also am quite new, and really excited to get started!

I have a little bit of a background in Technical Writing and also a
little bit of experience in editing and proofing, but I am willing to help
in whatever way is needed.

Like Paul, I am a MSO refugee, but I've really fallen in love with Libre
Office since making the switch.

Thanks,
Chad

Hi Paul and Chad! :slight_smile:

I'm pretty new myself. Glad I'm not the only one.

~Elliot

Hi Chad, :slight_smile:

Welcome to the team.

I set you up an Alfresco user account (http://alfresco.libreoffice.org
and http://documentation.libreoffice.org) and I am mailing you the
details.

David Nelson

Hello to all the newcomers!

You should all now have Alfresco accounts, so you can get to the draft
documents in English Content > Resources. To help you get oriented, the
ones you want are:

intro-libo-docs-team.odt
producing-LibreOffice-userguides.odt
using-Alfresco.odt

These are the first 3 chapters in a "Contributors' Guide" that I am
working on. You will see several places with notes about things that
need to be added or clarified. Please feel free to ask questions or
suggest items that need to be added. BTW, at the end of the Intro doc
there is a list of planned chapters. Others may be needed, too. We're a
new group, so we're making a lot of this up as we go along.

These draft docs will soon be available from the wiki as well, but the
whole Docs section of the wiki needs to be reorganised.

--Jean