Anyone for the Open Help Conference?

This question came up a few weeks ago, but I don't think anyone
expressed interest who could actually attend. Now that we have some new
members of the Docs team, I'll ask again. Is there anyone on the team
who would be able to attend this conference on behalf of the LibreOffice
Docs team? The details are here:

http://openhelpconference.com/

It's being held in Cincinnati, OH, June 3-5, so it's coming up quickly.

The Friends of OpenDocument Inc. can help with registration and/or some
of the travel expenses, for the right person. Of course, if you can
afford to go at your own expense, that's even better.

Expressions of interest to the list, please. Requests for funding can be
sent to my private address, if you prefer. I'll pass them on to the
"Friends of" committee for consideration.

--Jean

I might be able to attend. I would be interested in learning more about
what would be involved.

-- jdc

I don't know any more than you do. I think the main value to us is in
learning what other people are doing that we might be able to benefit
from, and sharing what we're doing with other people. Also making
contacts for future collaboration, sharing, mutual assistance, etc. In
other words, networking!

Looking at some of the speakers and topics, I think there will be some
great info presented there. Hey! I *know* some of these speakers!

I don't think anyone would expect you (or anyone else from the group who
might attend) to have any authority to agree to the LibO Docs people to
do anything, except perhaps to further investigate any good ideas that
arise.

Of course, we'd expect a full report on the conference, people met,
ideas exchanged, etc. :wink: Blog, tweet, whatever.

--Jean

Hi Jeremy,

I might be able to attend. I would be interested in learning more
about what would be involved.

if you want to know more, you might want to get in contact with Jim
Campbell:
http://j1m.net/
https://launchpad.net/~jwcampbell

who explicitly asked at the Ubuntu Developer Summit if somebody from
the LibreOffice Documentation Team will be at the OpenHelp conference.

Best Regards,

Bjoern

Hi Jeremy,

Hi Jeremy,

> I might be able to attend. I would be interested in learning more
> about what would be involved.

if you want to know more, you might want to get in contact with Jim
Campbell:
http://j1m.net/
https://launchpad.net/~jwcampbell

who explicitly asked at the Ubuntu Developer Summit if somebody from
the LibreOffice Documentation Team will be at the OpenHelp conference.

Best Regards,

Bjoern

The conference is going to be held in Cincinnati in just a few weeks, June
3-6. Thus far we have documentation participants from OpenStack, Mozilla
(several members of their docs team), Red Hat, Ubuntu, GNOME, FreeBSD, and
Sourceforge.

I'm sure that those are groups you would have heard of, but there will be
participants from other groups there, too. Some of them may not be open
source projects, but they want to learn about documentation using open tools
and community-based processes.

The primary benefit to the LibreOffice docs team is to interact with people
who (1) use open tools to create documentation, and (2) make use of
community contributions to build their documentation. It will be a chance to
talk shop about tools, workflows, strategies, goals, etc.

We think that we can benefit through your involvement, too. We want to know
what approaches you are taking with LibreOffice.

I know that the conference is just around the corner, but let me know if you
have any questions. I really hope that you, or someone from your group, can
attend.

Regards,

Jim
http://openhelpconference.com

Hi Jeremy,

I'm the main organizer of the conference. The first day is
traditional presentations. There's still a presentation slot
available if you'd like to talk about LibreOffice (and you
get a free book from XML Press for speaking).

The second day is open discussions, plus an open collaboration
session where we can all get a hands-on experience with how
other open source teams work.

The conference has a focus on discussions. The presentations
are short, with long breaks. We want to encourage people to
talk to each other and share their experiences.

If you have any questions about the conference, let me know.

Thanks,
Shaun

Shaun, thanks for the info. The conference sounds great, and something I
would love to attend myself if I lived in North America.

Unfortunately, Jeremy advised me yesterday that he is now unable to
attend the conference.

--Jean