Base Manual Design

Hello

In reviewing the OOo base documents I have an idea to use a simple
tutorial to highlight database concepts. My idea is to make library
database to show various concepts of the database.

The idea is to show users how a relational database works and how to
design one by using a simple one.

Is the idea reasonable to everyone?

Hi Jay,

In reviewing the OOo base documents I have an idea to use a simple
tutorial to highlight database concepts. My idea is to make library
database to show various concepts of the database.

The idea is to show users how a relational database works and how to
design one by using a simple one.

Is the idea reasonable to everyone?

Did you search for existing Base tutorials? (Just to be sure not to
reinvent the wheel)

Maybe it might be worth having a list of available documents in the
wiki? Maybe even with comments/opinions?

Nino

Hi :slight_smile:

Good plan. MS Office (but Excel rather than Access) uses a spreadsheet called
"NorthWind" occasionally they have a new folder (Exercise1, Exercise2 and so on)
in case the person's progress has taken them off-track. Or is that an ECDL
course, i don't quite remember fully now.

As I'm sure you've discovered, we have one tutorial on using Base
("Getting Started with Base", Chapter 8 of the Getting Started Guide)
that covers relational database concepts using an example.

I think another tutorial would be useful and good to have, especially if
we post a sample database to go with it. So, my opinion is: go for it!

Hi Jay,

> In reviewing the OOo base documents I have an idea to use a simple
> tutorial to highlight database concepts. My idea is to make library
> database to show various concepts of the database.
>
> The idea is to show users how a relational database works and how to
> design one by using a simple one.
>
> Is the idea reasonable to everyone?

Did you search for existing Base tutorials? (Just to be sure not to
reinvent the wheel)

Maybe it might be worth having a list of available documents in the
wiki? Maybe even with comments/opinions?

Nino

Thanks for the comments, my idea was closer to Tom's with downloaded
stages for each exercise. I am familiar with Northwinds, MS has a good
idea for training documents that allow hands on practice.