Printed copy of Writer Guide now available

The printed edition of the LibreOffice Writer Guide is now available
from Friends of OpenDocument, Inc. The direct link is
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/libreoffice-3-writer-guide/15593313

This book joins the Getting Started with LibreOffice book, which is
available from the same publisher.

I'll be updating various web pages over the next few days, as I find
time. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to mention this on the user list or
elsewhere, please feel free.

These printed editions are provided as a service to people who want a
hard copy book. The same books are available from the LibreOffice
website as free PDFs, which have the added advantage of being in colour.

I have sent a request to the ubuntu docs team and Bcc'd the LibreOffice Team so
that people here could see if i represented the team & situation fairly.

It is possible that we might have timed this rather well but i don't know how
willing their people might be to help here. They probably need a good rest
after the manic work created by changing from Gnome to Unity.
Anyway, many regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Jean,

The printed edition of the LibreOffice Writer Guide is now available
from Friends of OpenDocument, Inc. The direct link is

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/libreoffice-3-writer-guide/15593313

Shouldn't this be forwarded to the marketing list? They should know how
to propagate it best.

Just my 2¢

Nino

BTW: is there a documentation blog?

Hi Nino, Tom and Jean

I have added a link to a new wiki page "LibreOffice in Print" on the marketing pages. I have added this list to the main marketing wiki page.[1] Let me know if there should be more LibreOffice printed books added to the list.

BTW ... I had originally thought of linking to the Documentation wiki pages[2] but these do not itemize items in print version available at Lulu.

Cheers

Marc

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing
[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Hi Jean,

The printed edition of the LibreOffice Writer Guide is now available
from Friends of OpenDocument, Inc. The direct link is

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/libreoffice-3-writer-guide/15593313

Shouldn't this be forwarded to the marketing list? They should know how
to propagate it best.

Yes. If someone on that list will forward it there, that would be great.

BTW: is there a documentation blog?

Not that I know of, but perhaps we should start one if there isn't one already. I can easily set one up on blogspot or similar and have it added to the LO planet. What do the rest of you think?

Thanks, Nino.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

The printed edition of the LibreOffice Writer Guide is now available
from Friends of OpenDocument, Inc. The direct link is

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/libreoffice-3-writer-guide/15593313

Shouldn't this be forwarded to the marketing list? They should know how
to propagate it best.

Just my 2¢

Nino

BTW: is there a documentation blog?

Hi Nino, Tom and Jean

I have added a link to a new wiki page "LibreOffice in Print" on the marketing pages. I have added this list to the main marketing wiki page.[1] Let me know if there should be more LibreOffice printed books added to the list.

That's all at the moment, but more are coming. I'll add some more info (eg clarification of who the publisher is and who gets the profits) and (if someone else doesn't do it first) links to the odt files.

BTW ... I had originally thought of linking to the Documentation wiki pages[2] but these do not itemize items in print version available at Lulu.

Not yet, but that was on my to do list. ;-). I also plan to put a link on the website's get-help/docs page.

Cheers

Marc

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing
[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Thanks, Marc.

--Jean

(sorry to jump in lately: I've been very busy lately...)

This is good news!

Just a comment about what I think is the front cover: the big fat black borders are really, but really awful. I know this mimics the LibO icon but, well, printed matter is not screen rendition, is it? The black borders make me feel like it is a death notice of some sort. IMO it should be replaced with some lighter "colour", a light grey could do, I think.

Just my 2 (euro)cents. Keep up the good job, team!

Hi :slight_smile:
The Writer icon is turquoise / blue. Perhaps that would be a good colour to
use? It would be an attractive, eye-catching alternative?

The Writer icon is turquoise / blue.  Perhaps that would be a good colour to
use?  It would be an attractive, eye-catching alternative?

How about Base purple for the same reasons? Blue is the most common
color for logos...passé

Carl

Lol, i was thinking that each guide could use the same colour that is used for
the package it is written about.

I had been thinking exactly the same thing as Tom: different colours on
the covers to match the icons for the various components. A more
attractive cover design would also be good. However, we should probably
consult the artwork team at Marketing, so we fit in with the overall
plan for a "brand" or "image" for LibreOffice. I'll ask.

--Jean