I'm working on Calc Guide

Just to keep people informed: I'm continuing to work my way through the Calc
Guide, replacing pix and making minor wording changes to fit LibreOffice.
I'm up to Chapter 10, although I've been unable to upload my work to the
Alfresco site (lack of reliable web access on my part). That's actually
become an advantage, because as I go through the chapters I think of things
I failed to check or change in earlier chapters, so I go back to do those
fixes.

Haven't heard from anyone else. Is anyone doing anything on the other books?

Hal

Hal ... I still am not confident to start working on these chapter until a
formal workflow develops, so I am ajust trolling around and waiting to start
translation to pt-br

Rogerio

I agree with Rogerio. And in light of the subject matter of this link
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/04/oracle-gives-up-on-ooo-after-community-forks-the-project.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss
I wonder in which direction the community will go.

Personally I joined LibreOffice because I felt it necessary to promote
a competitive free and open source office suite. I thought the only way
I could be of service was to join the Documenters. Once I realized
that's not just writing I've tried to work into a coordinating
position while I learn more about the craft.

Since I've begun with LibreOffice, there seems to be a split between
the n00bs who joined on with LibreOffice and the old-schoolers who
have been up and down since StarOffice, and what is the best way to work
toward LibreOffice documentation.

I just want to see one big happy family working in a coordinated way.
In light of the recent developments at Oracle, and the perhaps timely
personal disaster we have experienced with our Alfresco workflow being
reset, I wonder in which direction the community will go.

Is Jean Hollis Weber willing/able to modify her accepted plone setup to
not rely so much on OpenOffice.org workflow and getting started
documentation? Is David Nelson going to re-emerge as the driving force
behind Alfresco? Is there going to be some consensus reached as to what
is the real and proper way to document LibreOffice? I wonder in which
direction the community will go.

If a leader emerges, I will follow. If one doesn't emerge... we need
a leader.

tl;dr Wat Do?

-- jdc

Hi :slight_smile:
I think we may end up re-absorbing a lot of the OpenOffice community. Many
people have been working in both communities already anyway.

My impression is that there is a choice of ways of working in Documentation and
that updated documents are copied into the various places. As a result we have
experts in the ways the OOo people work and our experts interface well with
people that have developed significantly better ways with the new systems.
Hopefully this means we can help people move to the new methods at their own
pace.

I'm not sure that we need leadership but we do need confidence. Self
confidence. Often people only get that from strong leadership. Guidance from
people like Hal on how her work-flow works would help . Perhaps someone can
help her draft a document on that since her time is limited.

Hi again :slight_smile:

Of course it would be ideal if Jean could produce a document on how to use the
alternative system but i think that is one people from OOo are already familiar
with? It would still be good for new people to be able to compare systems.

Tom, there is such a document but i don't have the URL handy. I'll
look it up later today. it needs some work but was written for the
many newcomers to OOo docs.

--Jean

Hi Jeremy, there are differences of opinion within the English
language community on how best to work with the docs, so it's not just
an old school bs new LibO difference. What has prevailed is the
preferences of the people doing most of the work.

As for the ODFAuthors plone-based website, it's not "mine" and indeed
the workflow there can be modified. I don't know how much it can be
changed for LibO docs without affecting the way we do OOo docs, but
probably any change would be good for both. Then of course there is
the question whether there will continue to be 2 products or only 1
again.

Meanwhile IMO useful LibO docs can be provided without any formal
workflow in the short term.

Jean

Hi, :slight_smile:

[...]

I'm still around, but have been taken up by daily life for the past month.

However, I get mail notifications of document additions, edits and
updates on Alfresco (these will be sent to a dedicated public mailing
list as soon as the notification templates are configured to contain
more-useful information than at present).

I now have a lot more time again. Personally, I plan to focus on
configuring and developing the Alfresco platform as my first task,
working from suggestions and discussion from the English docs team and
interested localization people.

Alfresco has many potentials as a working tool, for documentation
work, for localization work, and for other areas of the LibreOffice
project / TDF organization too. I continue to see it as an ideal tool
for LibreOffice documentation, and want to get the Alfresco project
involved in helping us get the most out of it quickly. I probably need
to do more communication about Alfresco to the LibreOffice lists, so
that people get a better understanding of what it can be used for.

But, obviously, no-one is obliged to use Alfresco if they have other
preferred tools and methods.

In any case, I'll post again soon with more Alfresco news and ideas.

As regards LibreOffice English/localized documentation, whatever
platform is used for docs team work, we recently discussed the need to
finalize a document reference system. Notably it needs to be platform
independent (fields contained in document meta data, for instance).
That would be something we should do pretty urgently, IMHO.

David Nelson