The php.net documentation system

Hi there, we are looking into the options for running multilingual
help documentation. Could you tell us something about your system?

Regards, Duncan
(on behalf of the LibreOffice Documentation Team)

Hi Hannes,

Hi there, we are looking into the options for running multilingual
help documentation. Could you tell us something about your system?

We use DocBook5[1], which is edited either with normal XML editors or
PhD OE[2], and rendered with PhD[3].
We use a lot of entity magic to simplify often used phrases, and
revision checking to verify translations.
We have relatively strict skeletons[4] for all typical things we write
about, just to keep consistency.

In retrospective we should probably have used pootle[5] or
transifex[6] (or something along that way) for translations, but they
never really could handle our docbook files though.

After PhD OE came along, we are quite happy with our system though,
even though we have had to re-implement the entire Docbook toolchain
(mostly for performance reasons) by now :

We are currently using Pootle and update the wiki with the files, so, nothing new under the sun I guess :wink:
thanks for your quick answer however.

Kind regards
Sophie

We use DocBook5[1], which is edited either with normal XML editors or
PhD OE[2], and rendered with PhD[3].
We use a lot of entity magic to simplify often used phrases, and
revision checking to verify translations.
We have relatively strict skeletons[4] for all typical things we write
about, just to keep consistency.

In retrospective we should probably have used pootle[5] or
transifex[6] (or something along that way) for translations, but they
never really could handle our docbook files though.

After PhD OE came along, we are quite happy with our system though,
even though we have had to re-implement the entire Docbook toolchain
(mostly for performance reasons) by now :]

-Hannes

[1] http://docbook.org
[2] https://edit.php.net
[3] https://doc.php.net/phd/
[4] http://svn.php.net/repository/phpdoc/doc-base/trunk/RFC/skeletons/
[5] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index
[6] http://trac.transifex.org/

Our needs go a bit further then viewing docs online. We generate CHM
files, Unix man pages, ePub, PDF, html, json for IDEs... :]

The wiki formats really cannot handle all the semantics we need our
markup to do.

If you have no such needs, then I suppose DocBook would be a overkill
for you guys :slight_smile:

-Hannes