LibreOffcie help wiki

Hi good people

I was just wondering how I can get a log in to the LibreOffice help
wiki? I've bumped into a few things that need some work. I simply
couldn't find anywhere to register for an account.

Cheers, Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Hi good people

I was just wondering how I can get a log in to the LibreOffice help
wiki? I've bumped into a few things that need some work. I simply
couldn't find anywhere to register for an account.

You can't change the help content in the wiki currently. It's maintained by the localization teams. If you find errors, please fill an issue to my attention on our bugzilla, I'll take care of it.
If errors are related to the wiki page (different from the help in the product), then fill the issue for Jan Holesovsky (Kendy).

Thanks
Kind regards
Sophie

Kind regards
Sophie

Curious, isn't it? Isn't a wiki aimed at everyone's involvement?

Does "currently" mean that this policy could change in the future? IMO, it should, and quickly.

Hi Jean-François,

You can't change the help content in the wiki currently.

Curious, isn't it? Isn't a wiki aimed at everyone's involvement?

Does "currently" mean that this policy could change in the future? IMO,
it should, and quickly.

I don't know how to maintain a localization on a wiki and in the product at the same time, so if you know any ways to achieve it, please, just tell us and we will use it.

Kind regards
Sophie

Good hear that the wiki will be opened up once the technology is in
place. I think the way that the LibreOffice help links to the wiki is
a great start - now we just need the wiki to work for us when we see
something that needs attention.

I'm the kind of editor who will often check things in the online help
and just correct any mistakes or unclear phrases used. So going
through a bug filing process to correct documentation? No thanks. I
sometimes get swamped with the bugs I track already.

I'll keep my ears open for the solution when it arrives.

All the best, Duncan

Hello Sophie,

I don't know how to maintain a localization on a wiki and in the product
at the same time, so if you know any ways to achieve it, please, just
tell us and we will use it.

Just to make things clear: I do know how much work it is to manage such a software as LibO. Precisely, don't you think that opening to the masses by unlocking the wiki might help?

My 2 euro-cents.

All the best,

Hi Jean-François,

Hello Sophie,

I don't know how to maintain a localization on a wiki and in the product
at the same time, so if you know any ways to achieve it, please, just
tell us and we will use it.

Just to make things clear: I do know how much work it is to manage such
a software as LibO. Precisely, don't you think that opening to the
masses by unlocking the wiki might help?

Then how do you manage the localization work flow in the wiki? How will you maintain the help files in the product in the different languages? Of course, that will save everybody's time to get a solution, but I'm not aware of any.

Kind regards
Sophie

These questions should be directed to Shaun McCance since he's
organizing the Open Help Conference for June. So I've CCed him.

Shaun we're talking about how to manage documentation wiki in multiple
languages - what solutions are there and is LibreOffice aware of them?
Perhaps you can reply with the names of some projects we should be
aware of?

Cheers, Duncan

I'm not sure I'm necessarily the person to ask. I'm not the one
making LibreOffice documentation happen. I'm just trying to bring
people together, so they can all share problems and experiences
just like this.

Many projects do a sort of hybrid wiki/controlled documentation
approach. For instance, Ubuntu has built-in help (much of which
comes from upstream projects) which they also build out to the
web. Then they also have their community documentation wiki.
I think theirs is English only though.

The Mozilla Developer Network does have multiple languages, but
I don't know whether they do it with message-based translations
or all-out new content for other languages. I think their site
runs Mindtouch.

And of course, though it's not documentation, Wikipedia is the
most successful multi-lingual wiki ever. I'm pretty sure their
non-English content is written from scratch, not translated.
I don't know if they've got tools in place to make it easier
to borrow content from and track changes to pages in other
languages.

I don't want to push any technologies here. But I'm happy to
share my experiences or connect you to people who can share
theirs.

Hi,

[...]

But they doesn't deliver a product where an explanation on how to use is mandatory and in the language of the users ? I think we are not talking about the same products. It's not possible to have the help files only available on the web and only in English.
We already have a multi lingual wiki for our documentation, it will be even better when we will have migrated it to language subdomains. But the help files are different here, it's not an how to use this or this, it's a description of the functionalities and an obligation to have it along the product in several countries.

Kind regards
Sophie

I have long been a fan of the PHP online manual. It has an official
authored part of each page and then space for comments. The comments
are periodically deleted as new examples and clarification is included
in the main text. Here's a page in chinese, change the language at the
top to see it in english
<http://www.php.net/manual/zh/language.functions.php>

Personally I think the very best solution would be a wiki with
registration and a comment section without registration. My experience
with the Ubuntu community documentation wiki suggests also that each
page would benefit from having a janitor - someone committed to
maintaining just that page.

Those are just my thoughts, I really don't know what to do from here.

Duncan

Hi,

I have long been a fan of the PHP online manual. It has an official
authored part of each page and then space for comments. The comments
are periodically deleted as new examples and clarification is included
in the main text. Here's a page in chinese, change the language at the
top to see it in english
<http://www.php.net/manual/zh/language.functions.php>

Personally I think the very best solution would be a wiki with
registration and a comment section without registration. My experience
with the Ubuntu community documentation wiki suggests also that each
page would benefit from having a janitor - someone committed to
maintaining just that page.

Those are just my thoughts, I really don't know what to do from here.

And how do you deliver it to work in the product ?

Kind regards
Sophie

I've written to them and asked about their system. We'll get a copy here.

Duncan

For what its worth:

We of the Brazilian Portuguese Team do the following:

All help BUILT INTO the program has to go through Pootle. HowTos and
documentation OUTSIDE the program are in our Wiki and ODFAuthors site.

I think the word Wiki for Help Content that will be incorporated INTO the
program is a flaw, it should be a web page. But the comment section on those
pages should be opened to discussion from outsiders.

And yes I agree that having someone as a janitor for the pages would
facilitate things.

Rogerio