Alfresco site offline?

For several hours now, whenever I attempt to reach alfresco.libreoffice.org,
I get a 503 "Service Temporarily Unavailable" message:
"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance
downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Hal

Hi guys,

Sorry, I'm very tardy in replying, I've been absent a few days, and
have been somewhat occupied, as you will learn. I've got some good
news and some bad news for you.

First, the bad news. After having done some particularly-inspired
configuration work on Alfresco, it came crashing to a halt and died.
This was the admin's human error, not Alfresco's.

All attempts to fix the problem over the past few days have been
fruitless to date. If anyone is curious and wants to download a backup
of the crashed site, you can get it at [1] - a juicy 759 Mb. It
contains everything from the system: database, file system, the
currently-inaccessible data, etc.

There is a completely new and working Alfresco installation on
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org and
http://documentation.libreoffice.org, but all user accounts are going
to be have to be recreated.. I will do this as from Friday.

After that, I'll start rebuilding everything. But I currently have no
assurance of being to recover *any* data.

Oh, did I mention good news? Again, I should point out that this was
100% human error and no malfunction of Alfresco's. Alfresco has proven
so far to be extremely stable and reliable on the server, and the
performances are now quite reasonable. This disaster happened in the
same way that a perfectly-working car will drive into a wall if you
point it in that direction.

Now that the domain names have rolled over to the libreoffice.org
domain, I'm planning to contact the Alfresco project and try and get
them involved as a partner in configuring and customizing the site.

For the next 24-48 hours, I'm busy and won't be heard much, but I'll
be working on things over the weekend.

You can imagine how humbly I offer you all my apologies.

[1] traduction.biz/downloads/alfresco-3.4c.back.tar.gz

David Nelson

I am such a packrat that I probably have copies of the latest iteration
of every English-language chapter of the LibreOffice user guides (and
many of the related files, such as the template, that were in the
"other" section) on the recently deceased Alfresco site. Some of those,
AFAIK, have not been worked on since I put them there; and the Getting
Started chapters are on the wiki and, again AFAIK, have not been
modified on Alfresco. If I don't have everything, others might; in
particular, whoever last edited a chapter might have a copy on their
computer. So if you're unable to recover them from backup, we can
probably replace them without too much drama after the folder hierarchy
is rebuilt and our user accounts are recreated.

This might be a good time to consider keeping a backup set of the
working files on the ODFAuthors site and/or the LibreOffice wiki as
well, although ensuring those are the latest files would be extra work
that might get overlooked.

--Jean

I've got copies of the chapters I worked on.

Hal

Another "good news" is that David is okay. I don't pay much attention
to news or weather reports from the Philippines, but I was beginning
to wonder if some natural or political disaster had caused something
more awful than a borked Alfresco installation. Too many earthquakes,
cyclones and whatnot have been going on in the western Pacific lately.

Earlier, I wrote:

I am such a packrat that I probably have copies of the latest iteration
of every English-language chapter of the LibreOffice user guides [...]
So if you're unable to recover them from backup, we can probably
replace them without too much drama after the folder hierarchy
is rebuilt and our user accounts are recreated.

I realise that won't bring back the earlier versions of the files.
For OOo I have copies of all the older files as well, but as I've not
been actively working on LibO docs, I haven't done that.

--Jean

How come that there was no backup? Three-quarters of a GB is really small peanuts storage-wise nowadays. My two Microsoft-hosted and Linux-hosted 1and1.com (Schlund.de) business accounts afford me 500 GB of storage alone and tons of other services I would never need for a total of $20 a month. Plus, just about any small dedicated fileserver or unused home PC could have filled in as backup--for free.

That lack of planning is quite a disservice to all the contributors' time and effort--not saying that I put in any time...

Gary

________________________________
[...]

Hi :slight_smile:
Sadly Murphy's Law happens. Hindsight is wonderful but presumably the back-ups
fell foul of the same problem as the original as does sometimes happen. See the
new Enterprise where Commander Tucker is unhappy to only have only 1 backup for
a 5 part system that can run on just 1 cylinder (in a pinch). I imagine David
has been "sweating buckets" trying to recover or rebuild and most people have
probably been pitying him while trying to find their own back-ups to help him.

I'm new here, so I may be breaking all kinds of protocol respoding with this

In addition to being a tech writer and some other things, I am a
documentation hoarder, so.... I downloaded the following, which I will
happily send to whomever, wherever, to get them back on the air if that will
be of help. All were downloaded between approx. 23:35 and 23:39 EST, Sa., 05
March, 2011 (approx 04:35 to 04:39 UDT, Sun. 06 March 2011 if my conversion
is correct):

0100GS3-GettingStartedLibO.odt
0101GS3-IntroducingLibO.odt
0102GS3-SEttingUpLibO.odt
0103GS3-StylesAndTemplates.odt
0104GS3-GettingStartedWithWriter.odt
0105GS3-GettingStartedWithCalc.odt
0106GS3-GettingStartedWithImpress.odt
0107GS3-GettingStartedWithDraw.odt
0108GS3-GettingStartedWithBase.odt
0109GS3-GettingStartedWithMath.odt
0110GS3-PrintingExportingEmailing.odt
0112GS3-CreatingWebPages.odt
0113GS3-GettingStartedWithMacros.odt
0114GS3-CustomizingLibO.odt
0115GS3-KeyboardShortcuts.odt
0116GS3-OpenSourceStandardsDoc.odt

Also:

LibO3_3_chapter_template.ott ([16:42 EST] 21:42 UDT, Mon. 7 March), and
LibreOffice-TechWriterDocPlan.odt ([16:43 EST] 21:43 UDT, Mon. 7 March)

I hope these resources will be of help.

A votre service,
Brent Thompson

I have downloaded the data and extracted many, possibly all, of the
files. They need a good going over. they currently have the
2f1dcd10-fd02-402b-b7f1-fa492e2b3bf5.bin.odt format name, so I'm
opening all the files and will rename them as best I can. after that is
complete I will upload them to a single space in the new alfresco.

If you were working on a file named something remotely like what I
rename these files, could you please check it out and verify the
uploaded version is what you endorse? Then move it to the appropriate
space?

I hope to have the files renamed and uploaded within 12 hours.

-- jdc

I have managed to recover the following documents. Docs beginning with
'rough' have no formatting and are likely garbage. Docs beginning with
OO have the OO template applied. Docs beginning with LO have the LO
template applied. There are many versions of the LO docs, each ending
with 1) no letter, 2) the letter b, then c, then ...

I believe the ones with no letter are the most recent versions of the
docs, however there are no guarantees and the only way to verify would
be to have the most recent documenter vet the file.

Also, I don't believe there is no way to force Alfresco into accepting
versions of a file, so we will most likely take the most recent and
begin again with the versioning.

I am not able to get into alfresco.libreoffice.org at the moment, and
so will periodically check through the day. When I can I will upload
all the files into one space.

The files are:

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
alfresco_install_guide.pdf
calcguidechap5.odt
catholicmassIII.odt
catholicmassII.odt
catholicmass.odt
currencytrends.odf
currntusersummary.odt
deliverydates.odt
draftssummary.odt
equipmentrentals.odf
experiencetravel.odf
export_en-US_fr-FR_16.zip
frenchtimekmperh.odf
homefolderspacestable.odt
howtocustomizewebscript.odt
lastweektabledocs.odt
LObootcampb.odt
LObootcampc.odt
LObootcampd.odt
LObootcampe.odt
LObootcamp.odt
LOcalcguideappa.odt
LOcalcguideappb.odt
LOcalcguideappc.odt
LOcalcguidechap10b.odt
LOcalcguidechap10.odt
LOcalcguidechap11b.odt
LOcalcguidechap11.odt
LOcalcguidechap12b.odt
LOcalcguidechap12.odt
LOcalcguidechap13b.odt
LOcalcguidechap13.odt
LOcalcguidechap14.odt
LOcalcguidechap1.odt
LOcalcguidechap2.odt
LOcalcguidechap3.odt
LOcalcguidechap4.odt
LOcalcguidechap6.odt
LOcalcguidechap7.odt
LOcalcguidechap8.odt
LOcalcguidechap9b.odt
LOcalcguidechap9.odt
LOchaptertemplateb.odt
LOchaptertemplatec.odt
LOchaptertemplated.odt
LOchaptertemplatee.odt
LOchaptertemplate.odt
LOfundraising.odt
LOgettingstartedappa.odt
LOgettingstartedappb.odt
LOgettingstartedchap10.odt
LOgettingstartedchap11.odt
LOgettingstartedchap12.odt
LOgettingstartedchap13.odt
LOgettingstartedchap14.odt
LOgettingstartedchap1b.odt
LOgettingstartedchap1.odt
LOgettingstartedchap2.odt
LOgettingstartedchap3.odt
LOgettingstartedchap4.odt
LOgettingstartedchap5.odt
LOgettingstartedchap6.odt
LOgettingstartedchap7.odt
LOgettingstartedchap8.odt
LOgettingstartedchap9.odt
LOinstallonLinuxb.odt
LOinstallonLinuxIII.odt
LOinstallonLinuxII.odt
LOinstallonLinux.odt
LOinstallonMac.odt
LOlogo.png
LO_master_summary.ftl
LO_next_decade_manifesto.pdf
LOpreferredterminology.odt
LOreferencecardb.odt
LOreferencecard.odt
LOtechwriters.odt
LOwriterguideappab.odt
LOwriterguideappac.odt
LOwriterguideappa.odt
LOwriterguidechap10b.odt
LOwriterguidechap10.odt
LOwriterguidechap11b.odt
LOwriterguidechap11.odt
LOwriterguidechap12b.odt
LOwriterguidechap12.odt
LOwriterguidechap13b.odt
LOwriterguidechap13c.odt
LOwriterguidechap13.odt
LOwriterguidechap14b.odt
LOwriterguidechap14c.odt
LOwriterguidechap14.odt
LOwriterguidechap15b.odt
LOwriterguidechap15c.odt
LOwriterguidechap15d.odt
LOwriterguidechap15.odt
LOwriterguidechap16b.odt
LOwriterguidechap16c.odt
LOwriterguidechap16.odt
LOwriterguidechap1b.odt
LOwriterguidechap1c.odt
LOwriterguidechap1d.odt
LOwriterguidechap1e.odt
LOwriterguidechap1.odt
LOwriterguidechap2b.odt
LOwriterguidechap2c.odt
LOwriterguidechap2.odt
LOwriterguidechap3b.odt
LOwriterguidechap3c.odt
LOwriterguidechap3d.odt
LOwriterguidechap3.odt
LOwriterguidechap4b.odt
LOwriterguidechap4c.odt
LOwriterguidechap4d.odt
LOwriterguidechap4.odt
LOwriterguidechap5b.odt
LOwriterguidechap5c.odt
LOwriterguidechap5d.odt
LOwriterguidechap5.odt
LOwriterguidechap6b.odt
LOwriterguidechap6c.odt
LOwriterguidechap6d.odt
LOwriterguidechap6.odt
LOwriterguidechap7b.odt
LOwriterguidechap7.odt
LOwriterguidechap8b.odt
LOwriterguidechap8c.odt
LOwriterguidechap8.odt
LOwriterguidechap9b.odt
LOwriterguidechap9.odt
LOwritertentb.odt
LOwritertent.odt
myspacedocstable.odt
OOcalcguideappa.odt
OOcalcguideappb.odt
OOcalcguideappc.odt
OOcalcguidechap10.odt
OOcalcguidechap11.odt
OOcalcguidechap12.odt
OOcalcguidechap13.odt
OOcalcguidechap14.odt
OOcalcguidechap1.odt
OOcalcguidechap2.odt
OOcalcguidechap3.odt
OOcalcguidechap4.odt
OOcalcguidechap5.odt
OOcalcguidechap6.odt
OOcalcguidechap7.odt
OOcalcguidechap8.odt
OOcalcguidechap9.odt
OOdrawguidechap10.odt
OOdrawguidechap2.odt
OOdrawguidechap3.odt
OOdrawguidechap4.odt
OOdrawguidechap5.odt
OOdrawguidechap6.odt
OOdrawguidechap7.odt
OOdrawguidechap8.odt
OOdrawguidechap9.odt
OOmathguide.odt
OOoUserDict1.odt
OOstyleguide.odt
roughbootcampb.odt
roughbootcamp.odt
roughcalcguide11.odt
roughcalcguide12.odt
roughcalcguidechap10.odt
roughcalcguidechap13.odt
roughcalcguidechap1.odt
roughchaptertemplateb.odt
roughchaptertemplatec.odt
roughchaptertemplated.odt
roughchaptertemplatee.odt
roughchaptertemplate.odt
roughgermanguide.odt
roughgettingstartedchap1b.odt
roughgettingstartedchap1c.odt
roughgettingstartedchap1d.odt
roughgettingstartedchap1e.odt
roughgettingstartedchap1f.odt
roughgettingstartedchap1.odt
roughwriterguidechap11.odt
roughwriterguidechap12.odt
roughwriterguidechap13.odt
roughwriterguidechap14.odt
roughwriterguidechap15b.odt
roughwriterguidechap15c.odt
roughwriterguidechap15.odt
roughwriterguidechap1b.odt
roughwriterguidechap1c.odt
roughwriterguidechap1d.odt
roughwriterguidechap1e.odt
roughwriterguidechap1.odt
roughwriterguidechap3b.odt
roughwriterguidechap3.odt
roughwriterguidechap4b.odt
roughwriterguidechap4c.odt
roughwriterguidechap4.odt
roughwriterguidechap7.odt
roughwriterguidechap8.odt
roughwriterguidechap9b.odt
roughwriterguidechap9.odt
salesfilterdemo.odf
screenshots.zip
systemoverview.odt
testworkflow.png
the_art_of_community.pdf
vardomescro.jpg
webscriptsdemo.odt
workflow.png

-- jdc

What I was able to salvage has been uploaded to the new Alfresco. You
will need to get a new login to work on the Alfresco site as it is
brand new. Also, as it's brand new, there is no longer a 'libreoffice
home' space. If no one gets around to it by sometime tomorrow, I'll
recreate the space for people to sort out their work into. If you don't
see a file which should be there, let me know. I likely have overlooked
it.

Jean, do you want me to upload the same files to odfauthors? please
advise.

-- jdc

Jeremy, sorry, I missed the question to me in this note.

No one on the English docs team seems to be interested in using the
ODFAuthors website, so it's probably not worth your time to put files
there... at least not until the salvaged files have been sorted out, as
I see Hal is doing.

If others on the team have a different opinion, please speak up!

--Jean