Teaching LibreOffice as primary personal productivity tool within universities

Hi, :slight_smile:

It sounds like what you're wanting to do is undocumented within the
short life of the LibreOffice community but *needs* to be nurtured by
the LibreOffice community for your needs and for other educational
institutions.

As one of the documentation team, I'll be pleased to be a specific
liaison point to help you deal easily with the project and get the
support and cooperation you need, and to repatriate the learning and
best practices to the LibreOffice project.

May I suggest that you sign up for our documentation mailing list [1]
and tell us more about your project and what you'd like to develop
with the community?

[1] documentation+subscribe@libreoffice.org

David Nelson

This has been one of my pet projects for years, but I have never found
the time to actually write any of it.

You may be interested in this preliminary outline that I put together
for a series of tutorials (or a textbook) aimed at university students.
It's for OpenOffice.org, but the topics (and most of the instructional
information) would be applicable to LibreOffice, probably with very few
changes. AFAIK, no one has found time to actually do any of the work to
produce this or similar materials.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Tutorials/Targeted#Topics_to_cover_for_university_students

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber

Welcome aboard Jean!

I've been hanging around the Docs list for months, but not participating
in (or even reading) any of the other lists, nor do I intend or expect
to participate in anything much here, other than passing on info from
OpenOffice.org.

--Jean

Hi all,

Hi, :slight_smile:

It sounds like what you're wanting to do is undocumented within the
short life of the LibreOffice community but *needs* to be nurtured by
the LibreOffice community for your needs and for other educational
institutions.

Just for information because it's only in French, I'm (very slowly) porting courses [1] that are used for OOo currently in schools and universities (for the B2i in France for example) in various French speaking countries.
So if you are interested to get the complete set before I've ported it to the wiki, just let me know.

[1]http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/Autoformation

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi :slight_smile:
This sort of thing is great to see. Good welcome's are great :slight_smile:

[1] - http://documentation.openoffice.org/tutorials/index.html
[2] - http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/
[3] - http://www.learnopenoffice.org/
[4] - http://inpics.net/

Those four sites keep appearing in the lists. Even though some sites claim to
be only for OpenOffice it is generally fairly identical for LibreOffice except
that LibreOffice has a couple more features (such as svg graphics).

Hi Dr. Stevens,

I am in the process of porting over my OpenOffice.org textbook (A Conceptual Guide to OpenOffice.org 3: Second Edition) and related learning materials for use with LibreOffice. These learning materials should be ready for release shortly. If you would like, feel free to drop me a note with your contact information at the link below and I will let you know when the materials are available.

Best regards,
Gabriel Gurley
Educator and Author
Web: http://www.gabrielgurley.com/
Contact Link: http://www.gabrielgurley.com/information/information/contactme.php

Hey Gabriel,

How about giving the raw text a CC licence and puting it up so we can
translate it ?

Talk to your Publisher about "raw" text rights, without diagramation and
print sets.

Like what is done with [1]

Rogerio

1 - http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

Rogerio,

AFAIK, Gariel is the publisher of his own book. If you look on this wiki
page, you'll find partway down "OpenOffice.org Manuscript".
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OpenOffice.org_Conceptual_Guides

The description says, "This file contains the master copy of the
manuscript for Gabriel Gurley's educational guide ?A Conceptual Guide to
OpenOffice.org 3?. Provided in the OpenDocument Text Document format
(.odt), the manuscript is provided in an easy-to-edit, machine readable
format for making adaptations or native-language translations of the
guide."

You'll also find on that wiki page a file contains the lesson files
necessary for completing the lessons found in the educational guide "A
Conceptual Guide to OpenOffice.org 3" and a collection of other related
files.

I would assume that Gabriel is planning to do the same for the
LibreOffice adaptation he's working on. (If I'm wrong, he'll correct me
when he sees this note.)

--Jean

Hi Jean / Rogerio,

Jean - thanks for your reply. You pretty much answered the question for Rogerio the same way I would have. :slight_smile:

Yes, I do intend to release the manuscript for the book in the same manner I have for publishing "A Conceptual Guide to OpenOffice.org". I encourage others who wish to make language translations and/or adaptations of the work to do so, as well as share said works with others, as much of my work has been released under the CC-BY-SA license. I also intend to make available some new resources for educators as well; I will provide more details as these resources are ready for distribution.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, feel free to share.

Best regards,
Gabriel